State of Victoria has announced that they will investigate ALL religions... including the Watchtower

by Alfred 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

ok so it sounds like it brought attention to the fact that, there was a failure on the Govts part to inforce it. Perhaps the way it was written, the govt expected more good will from the religious groups. The WT is not interested in goodwill with the govt, but has a legal dept that exploits gaps in enforcement.

Sad really. Call me stupid but I thought religions were concerened with the welfare of it's memebers, especially those who can't defend themselves. (Children, the handicapped, the elderly).

So there's likely going to be a long line of enforcement criteria tied to the act. It won't take long for the WT to exploit those as well.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

If this happens, I say GOOD, they all deserve it!

• steve2
    steve2

To date the Watchtower has slowly come to the party - although clearly reluctantly. This may end not so much with a bang but a whimper: The Watchtower notified the congregations in Victoria a few weeks ago that each witness was to individually decide tro what extent they would formally comply with the relevant child-protection legislation. I have also heard from a JW contact in New Zealand that the "brothers and sisters" don't view the court action as a big deal at all. They are framing it as an individual conscience issue and are pleased the Watchtower is standing up to "opposers". We ought not assume that "bad publicity" will lead the rank and file to question their governing body - although I can imagine a few being disturbed by the developments.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, but as I say, to date it has not been the deal-breaker for the Watchtower Society's standing, legally or otherwise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit