6 YEARS AFTER FADING, I RUN INTO JW'S FROM MY OLD HALL

by AK MCGRATH 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

I knew one day it would happen. I often wondered how I would react. Well, sometimes things don't work out exactly as planned.

Last weekend I went back home to Chi-town to FINALLY clean out a locker my sister and I share. I have had a terrible cold that's been kicking my ass for the past two weeks. So after lunch, and right before we get ready to return home to Michigan, my girlfriend and I go to Walgreens to try to get some Cepacol cuz my damn throat has been killing me!

Now, I have mentioned from time-to-time that I'm just waiting to run into someone every time I visit the fam. My girlfriend humors me, and has offered suggestions on what to do. I'VE thought about what I would do...sometimes playing out differenct scenarios in my head (I tend to do that especially if I'm listening to music for a variety of circumstances..lol)

So we pop on into Walgreens and as we're heading to the cold medicine isle, I glance down an isle and SHIT! It's "T" and her mom! I pick up my pace and dart for the cold medicine. My g-friend lagging behind catches up to me while I'm in one isle and feverishly looking for this damn CEPACOL!

I wispered to her, "I know those two! They used to go to my old hall. I want to get out of here quick. Where the HELL is this damn throat spray!?" Was Jehovah withholding it from me? Was it SATAN? Was a spirit screwing with me and hiding it behind his back till they approached me?

I moved to another isle. In the next one I heard "T" say to he mother, "she's in the next isle". I was getting a little panicky and looking in those big ass mirrors Wags has for shoplifting, or for JW's to hunt down unsuspecting former JW's.

Finally my mind must've been stronger than the spirits, because I FINALLY located that damn bottle, got my g-friend to give me her wallet so I could get outta dodge ASAP and meet her in the car while she had to use the bathroom. How inconsiderate of her~doesn't she realize I'm fearing for my life here? lol

Well, I scurry to the register, and thank God I knew her PIN code, cuz I couldn't locate the $ that was in her wallet...again the forces working against me here, and scadattled into my Scion Xb.

Now, some of you may call me paranoid (or other things), but let me tell you...this mother and daughter duo got into their suv and waited there. I am not kidding. They waited for about 10 minutes in their vehicle, which was not too far from mine. So, not wanting them to see my "You Have The Right To Be Who You Are", and Equality sickers on the Scion, I move. That's right. I actually move my friggin car, so they "can't find any fault" or try to do a little witch hunt to determine if I am or not in, the "Truth".

You know how things go. GOSSIP CITY! Not that I was close to them really, but these two know many of my close former JW friends from two halls we both went to. This family in particular has always been a little out there, and so many times would not attend meetings themselves for "small" reasons. But whatever. I have no idea what my old congo or friends think of or know of me these past years. But as I was reflecting on that whole fiasco, I came to the conclusion that something must be up. Otherwise, I think they would have come up to me and said, J*** or Sister B***, how are you? We haven't seen you in a long time...and go from there.

In my mind, I thought if I ever ran into an olf friend or elder, I would just pretend I was inactive. My publisher card is still at that congre in Chicago, so the elders (and most likely everyone else) would know if I was attending another hall. I just had always hoped I wouldn't run into someone, although I honestly thought I was biding my time. Time was up last weekend.

What I have tried for so long, no matter the pain and lonliness it has caused to me to get up and leave, is to protect my friends from acutally finding out the truth about me. About me no longer being interested in the "Truth" and that I live my life as a gay woman. I don't flaunt it, but I am who I am. And I care about them too much to hurt them. It has nothing to do about me being embarrassed of who I am. I have been ashamed almost all my life, and I refuse to be for the next half of it. But I do still care for and love my old friends deeply, despite what I think of the WTBTS.

When I was fading, and really, the term should be, "in a horribly depressed state", I had to make a literal life or death decision, I was hardly going to any meeting, and then stopped altogether. Moving out of state helped tremendously. No one could just come over and I had less chance of running into someone. In the beginning year of my move, I would get calls from my best friend. Then I wouldn't answer her calls or answer her messages. It just got too hard to lie to her or hold back my tears when all I really wanted was to blurt out the truth and then ask if she would still be my friend. I would never put her in that position or pain.

I do keep in touch with a younger friend of mine, who sought me out and found me on FB, and is also gay. He is a part of a family I LOVE, yet he was never baptized. His family still accepts him, and he has promised me he will not tell them of my current state. His younger sister has even sent me a FB friend request, and as mush as I'd love to, I will not accept it. Once anyone were to see it, it would become clear I am no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I would not want to cause her or her family any grief, and so this is my "cross" to bear.

It is great to be out, eyes wide opened and learning the sad truth about "The Truth", as well as being able to just be me...faults 'n all. But the downside is losing friends you thought would be lifetime, close friends that were like family...closer than family in my case. However, it is nice to know that in life, there are no determined amount of friends you can have, and so I appreciate a whole set of friends that have come into my life since leaving the truth, albeit a small group. I always say you can never have too many friends, and so I am hopeful I will gain many more meaningful relationships before I pass on. Afterall, what is a life without friendship? I shudder to think.

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

BUSTED!!!! Thanks for your story. I hope you found freedom in your life. Friendship is important, but friends who love you "faults n all" are the ones I love. peaceAK paulnotsaul

• steve2
    steve2

What a vivid account. I could just picture you in the mall trying to avoid these two seemingly fearsome women. What stops you from holding your head high and bearing what ever reception they give you - kind of facing them? It does seem like you're kind of living in fear of these people in your hometown. There's an old saying, The more you flee from scary things, the more power you give them.

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

Paul..lol @ the BUSTED comment. I agree about the friends who love you despite...however, I do understand where my folmer friends are coming from. I would shun me if I were in their shoes. Afterall, we were all programmed the same, weren't we?

Steve~Thank you for the comments. I do agree with the fear thing, but I think it is out of respect and love for my friends. Like I said, I am fine with who I am, but at the same time, I do have great love and compassion for them still. At least in this point in my life, I would still withhold the truth from them, to spare them turmoil.

At the same time, I wish like hell I could just contact them and show them what I have found out about the truth. That is bigger for me than to let them know your old pal Jo is a dyke..lmao (although I bet some people wouldn't be surprised by it either...but that's a whole other embarassing story). I know if I broach either subject, it will be a shot into the heart and mind, and it is not something I am willing to put either of us through at the moment. I may never do it...I may take a chance and decide whom I will contact. It is the unknown for now..and I'm ok with that.

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

there are some repressed gay guys in our hall and it's very sad. They are very lonely. To think that they can't look forward to a relationship with anyone till this fantasy system comes is horrifiying. I feel the same for all the bitter women over 30 that have basically missed the bus on getting a man.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

Wouldn't it been nice to be able to meet them and say hey, I must introduce you to my wife

CP

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

What? You didn't introduce your girlfriend as "your study"? Heehee.

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

@ crushed~Yes, it is sad! It is sad, depressing, suicidal and if you're lucky, you get the hell out of there before you finally do yourself in! For me it all came to a standstill. I refused to be a hypocrite and I couldn't take my depressive state any longer. I literally decided which was worse in Jehovah's eyes~suicide or being gay? Since "The Society" seemed to be of the mindset that suicide was the worse sin of the two, and my own belief that life is a gift from God, then my decision was made. I would leave, being open to being/living gay. I couldn't be any more depressed than I was, and in my late 30's, I still had some life left in me to find happiness and love. I try not to be bitter and think of my 20's and 30's as being wasted years, seeing how my life has ended up, as I did have some great times and met some beautiful people in the "truth". Still, from time-to-time I can't help but think, what if I never pursued my study. However, I can't change the past, yet I can be hopeful for my future more than ever.

@ clearpoison~Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Who said anything about the "M" word? lol But yea, I was thinking for a split second, well, if I give her a big ol kiss right here and now, that would solve the inquisition! LMAO

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

@Billy..lol Good idea! When I thought of planting one on her, I coulda said, "Oh, have you met my sister? We're a very close family."

• steve2
    steve2

At the same time, I wish like hell I could just contact them and show them what I have found out about

the truth. That is bigger for me than to let them know your old pal Jo is a dyke

I see what you mean. There are two separate issues that need to be untangled I think:

First, like many of us on this forum, you've learnt that "The Truth" ain't the truth. That's a big realization for anyone and you have some thoughts about wanting to show them what you've found out.

Second, there's the awareness that JWs are bound by their literal interpretation of the Bible so would consider your partnership to be grounds for disfellowshipping or "marking" if you are not a bapized witness.

What if neither of those issues mattered? For example, even though you now realize it is not the truth, whether people believe it or not is their business, not yours. After all, the world is full of crazy religions yet presumably you don't have any thoughts about wanting to put these religions in the "know" about what you know.

Similarly, what if you "simply" accepted that JWs would disapprove of you if they knew you were in a loving relationship with a woman? There'd be nothin' to prove, nothin' to fix. If they crossed your path, you could hold your head high and it's your business that your partner's at your side - not their business.

I admit this calls for a sense of ease with yourself and acceptance that the people in your past aren't likely to see your point of view. Yet, it might help you begin to stand back from your own otherwise understandable behavior in the mall, and begin to think about how you could behave so that you are not trying to disappear or 'rub yourself out' so that the two women wouldn't notice you.

I'm gay and I acknowledge it took me some time to sort out the above two issues. Time has passed and I no longer feel an emotional reaction on the rare occasion that I see someone from my old congregation. I have nothing to be ashamed of - but nor do I have anything to prove. I am who I am. They are who they are. The tie has been cut but it sure as hell ain't going to leave me scurrying around in the background but admittedly nor does it cause me to want to rub their nose in who I am (which is my business - just as their religious belief is theirs).

Good luck to you on your journey! Hold your head high girl!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit