Reading is NOT Overrated!

by White Dove 49 Replies latest social entertainment

• White Dove
    White Dove

How do you read?

I find myself attracted to certain authors and book series.

Which reminds me, I need to download The Grapes of Wrath.

I love Steinbeck's writing of historical fiction.

Looking into the history of frontier America is so interesting when written in story form.

I read from most genres.

What's your poison?

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I love a good read too White Dove (nice to see you here!)...I'll have a go at anything that's well written really except for Sci Fi or Vampire books...after 3 years at Uni it'll be good to read for pleasure without feeling guilty.

Loz x

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I have vast interests. Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors. I do love historcial fiction, and write quite a bit of it. But I'm not adverse to sitting down with light reads like the Shopoholic series. I love Sci-Fi, but haven't read much of it lately. I used to keep up with all of the Star Wars books, but when the second set of movies came out, the market was so inundated, I couldn't keep up and it made me drop it. I like reading collections of essays from humorists like Dave Barry. I've been reading Dawkins and such.

I read a great deal of nonfiction too---anything that interests me.

And I LOVE King Arthur tales. Call me a geek. I own it.

NC

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I have been reading a lot of historical fiction by Taylor Caldwell. I have been hooked on her books since I read Captains and the Kings. I read Testimony of Two Men, The Listener and No One Hears but Him, The Devil's Advocate and Ceremony of the Innocent. I found it interesting that Ceremony of the Innocent was one of Stevie Nicks favorite books and after reading it I always wondered why. It is such a tragic novel and it really pissed me off reading it but I still can't help but like the book. I still have a lot of her books that I have collected that I have not read yet but look foward to reading them. Right now I'm enjoying Dear and Glorious Physician by her. I ancient cities of Rome, Antioch and Alexandria really come to life in the pages of that novel. You can see the colorful panoramic scenes and smell the environment of the scenery with the sounds with her descriptive writing in her novels which explains why her novels are so long and some may say are longwinded but they are a great escape for me.

LRG

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I read pretty much anything I can get my hands on. Except westerns and romance, not big fans of those. I of course have my favorites, but all in all, I just love to read.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Yeah, contemporary readers don't have a lot of patience for long descriptive passages. We talk a lot about it in my writing groups. If you're writing a novel in the here and now, it's not so important. But if you are creating, or recreating an entire world, it gets more challenging. Readers seem to respond well if you mix description in with a lot of action or dialog. But the days of the classic styles of writing are passing. Some will always appreciate it, but twitter and television are real competitors.

NC

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I like English mysteries, scifi/fantasy, and a tad bit of horror. I hate romance novels but have a soft spot for Jane Austen. And I have quite a bit of books about the needle arts, cooking, and exercise and diet. My hubby loves any book about fashion or finance.

• White Dove
    White Dove

*makes note of Dave Berry*

After graduating college with the second degree, I was so ready for some fun reading, so I read all the Twilight series and dug into Stephanie Plum (about 23 books and counting).

I don't like romance but do like old westerns and just downloaded Max Brand and Zane Grey (sic?). L'Amour costs more, so I'm waiting on his books.

I haven't really read science fiction. Love Grapes of Wrath for its poetic rhythm. Also like the Bronte sisters' books.

Tackling Tolstoy's Anna Keranina now. Forgot how to spell that one.

I found it funny that someone here who read Twilight and New Age things said that he would never date someone who read them. Hypocrite.

How can one judge another by their reading material in this day and age of so many non-readers?

Even Playboy has great articles, such as Willa by Stephen King. It's a short ghost love story, creepy and lovely all at the same time.

Yes, I really do read everything! :D

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Oh, I read Twilight. I didn't want to, but a fellow writer practically begged me to. I finally caved. since then, I've even written some Twilight fanfiction, cuz it's fun. My current story is pretty popular. Been working on the next chapter all day. It's certainly not my best---in fact it is my worst---but it is a lot of fun with all the interaction.

As much as I love the classics, and high quality work, I'm not a snob. Sometimes it's okay just to read for the fun of it. Even if it is only a mediocre writer with an interesting story line.

NC

• Glander
    Glander

I like to rotate my reading from historical biographies such as those by David McCullough or historical fiction ala Ken Follett, (read "Julian" by Gore Vidal when I was just a youngster and got hooked on the genre). Accounts of explorers expeditions and seafaring novels also.

After finishing a heavy book, I enjoy reading a few "potato chip" books like Michael Connelly, Elmore Leonard, Lee Child, Carl Hiassen.

Jonesy, I love British mysteries also. I especially enjoy Robert Goddards books, but I think I have read them all!

Someday, I hope to re-read some of Steinbeck, Grapes of Wrath, etc.

Likewise, I enjoyed the series by the Yorkshire veterinarian James Herriott.

I could go on, but I certainly agree with the thread title!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit