Can you help me, please?

by losthobbit 11 Replies latest jw friends

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

About an hour ago I noticed that my friend, a former JW, has posted the following on a YouTube video (7 hours ago):

"I have just started going back to the meetings, and it was the best decision of my life!!"

The video is this one below:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YNuTeO1Vfk

Her alias is "g claires"

I would like as many people as possible, to please reply to her message, and give her some friendly advice. She probably has no idea that I know that she's posted that comment, so I think it's best I keep that secret.

Anyway, this is her background:

She's about thirty, was brought up in a JW family with two older sisters and an older brother. When she was very young her parents died in a car accident. She was raised by her Baptist gran, and left the JW's and started celebrating her birthday. She moved to England and lives with her son. I don't know all the facts, but I imagine that her sisters might be encouraging her to go back to the JW's. I'm not sure if it shows from what I've written, but I can't imagine she's had an easy life.

If you could help, by replying to her message on YouTube and giving her your best advice, that would be great. One can login to YouTube with a gmail / google account.

Thanks!

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Well, I think without any comments from us, I think she will eventually be ex jw again. They will eventually stop love bombing her. She will find out they are so conditional. If people wants to make comments on her comment, let be it.

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

I imagine she'll probably start taking her little boy with and he'll also join.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Oh well, we cannot prevent everyone from returning to that stupid cult, if someone wants to try to help her to see the light, that will be fine with me.

• sabastious
    sabastious

It sounds like she's going back for the social aspect. Trying to pry a cult member out only solidifies their position within it. If she is "so happy to be back" then I would just stand back and observe. Resistance is futile.

-Sab

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Done. I don't know if it will help, but done.

NC

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

Thanks NC :)

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

You have made the honest plea of a friend. I hope enough - but not too much - comment is made to make her think a little. Time is the great enemy of the religion - and information will drift in over time that might change her mind.

I agree that the bigger issue is that her son will likely be influenced to join no matter what his mother eventully does - this is what happened to me. My mother was a lifetime 'study' - eventually a very inactive/non-attending jw. I 'bought the whole package' from about the age of 5 or 6 [the age that most experts believe us most receptive to such things], and it took me until the age of 48 to break the bonds with that cult.

As an atheist, I find all religion to be a waste of time and life, so this influences my opinion that the boy is not better/worse off within one or another [there are to some degree, cults that are more serious than others of course]. I view it all as dangerous and hope the boy is not sucked into any of it - but likely he will. In that regard I wish them both well in the end - but have no illusion that the adventure within will be short lived.

Jeff

• Fernando
    Fernando

Done. Best wishes.

• ohiocowboy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit