Is everyone entitled to their opinion?

by Dogpatch 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch
    I thought this was a very good quote from Seth Godin's daily blog:

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2012/04/is-everyone-entitled-to-their-opinion.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fsethsmainblog+%28Seth%27s+Blog%29

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean we need to pay the slightest bit of attention.

There are two things that disqualify someone from being listened to:

1. Lack of Standing. If you are not a customer, a stakeholder or someone with significant leverage in spreading the word, we will ignore you. And we should.

When you walk up to an artist and tell her you don't like her painting style, you should probably be ignored. If you've never purchased expensive original art, don't own a gallery and don't write an influential column in ArtNews, then by all means, you must be ignored.

So next time a little 75X75 dorky pixel non-identified (or even identified) person on this forum is dogging you, just IGNORE them. You have no OBLIGATION to answer. In fact, you might want to save this quote, it could come in handy many times over. Just cut and paste, and be sure and include the source author and URL. You need not say anything else, if you answer at all. That way you avoid exciting them that they have actually been able to dog a REAL person they want to put "in their place".

If you have Google mail, use the new "canned response" feature and you won't even have to type it.

Don't feed the animals or the cowards hiding behind being anonymous.

Randy

• pirata
    pirata

That's just Seth Godin's opinion...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean we need to pay the slightest bit of attention.

That sums up what I think of any board

• TOTH
    TOTH

I have seen a bit of criticism here when someone posts something. I have even seen a little bit of bullying here. And on other forums as well. Some of it has even been directed at me. I see this kind of behavior and wonder if the ones doing the criticizing and bullying would do so if they were in the same room with me or their other targets. It's so easy to loudly proclaim that you think someone is full of it or stupid when you are hundreds and hundreds of miles away locked in your little house in anytown usa. Real easy to Bust a CAPSLOCK in my ass! LOL

Nice post Randy!

• talesin
    talesin

I agree with your concluding sentiment with regards to internet discussion boards, but NO, I strongly disagree with the essence of what he is saying.

If we are not a 'consumer', 'stakeholder' or 'someone with significant leverage' .... then we have no say in how the world is run? That leaves out the poor. I guess that, to Seth, if we don't have $$$$$, then we don't count. Yup, that is the way our countries REALLY work,,, and democracy is a farce.

tal

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" Don't feed the animals or the cowards hiding behind being anonymous.

Randy"

Me likey.

• steve2
    steve2

Money talks. Pity the penniless....

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Surely, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Equally, everyone is responsible for how they express it, and even for whether they express it or not.

Points to consider should start with:

• is my opinion going to hurt anyone else?
    • if it is, should I express it?
    • if my opinion is likely to be controversial, is it actually worth expressing?
    • if I decide that my opinion might hurt someone, or is likely to be controversial, but is still worth expressing, can I express it reasonably and tactfully?
    • if I can't, then I should shut up.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Yes, everyone is absolutely entitled to my opinion. And you can quote me on that!

00DAD

• VIII
    VIII

Yes, they are entitled to their opinion. Even the poor. (eye roll) Even people whose opinions are meaningless to the subject. For example, someone blind telling you the color red looks ugly with your hair color.

That person is entitled to tell you you look ugly in red. Is their opinion worth listening to? I hope I don't have to answer that.

That is my take away from the opening statement. Then I opened the link and read more because it said there are two things that disqualify you from having your opinion heard.

Only one is listed above. And, the example given isn't great. Here is the rest of the cut and paste:

If you're working in Accounts Payable and you hate the company's new logo, the people who created it should and must ignore your opinion. It just doesn't matter to anyone but you.

I'm being deliberately harsh here for a reason. If we're going to do great work, it means that some people aren't going to like it. And if the people who don't like it don't have an impact on what happens to the work after it's complete, the only recourse of someone doing great work is to ignore their opinion.

2. No Credibility. An opinion needs to be based on experience and expertise. I know you don't like cilantro, but whether or not you like it is not extensible to the population at large. On the other hand, if you have a track record of matching the taste sensibility of my target market, then I very much want to hear what you think.

People with a history of bad judgment, people who are quick to jump to conclusions or believe in unicorns or who have limited experience in the market--these people are entitled to opinions, but it's not clear that the creator of the work needs to hear them. They've disqualified themselves because the method they use for forming opinions about how the market will respond is suspect. The scientific method works, and if you're willing to suspend it at will and just go with your angry gut, we don't need to hear from you.

If these two standards sound like precisely the opposite of what gets you on talk radio or active in anonymous chat rooms, you're right. Running your business or your campaign or your non-profit or your sports team based on what you hear on talk radio is nuts.

After reading this whole blog I believe that yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Is is worth giving? It depends. Do I have expertise in the area? Do I have knowledge in the area? Am I well read in the area I am dissing or wanting to debate? If all I'm doing is *giving an opinion*, well that is like a butt hole.

Which is why my post count is so low.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit