Was everyone surprised by how nice worldly people can be?

by Inisc 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Inisc
    Inisc

I, like most born ins grew up being taught that everyone who was not a JW was inherently wicked, that they were dishonest, unloving, selfish, bad parents who don't care about their children, and also sad empty people with no direction in life.

As I grew older I started to see that this wasn't always true with every one, that what I was taught wasn't equating with what I was seeing.

By high school I could see that my friends at school, (yes worldly friends eek!) we're actually decent people with morals, they may have engaged in a little fornication here and there but not promiscuously, and they were good honest people, with goals and parents that cared for them.

But after high school I was phsycologicaly bullied into ceasing contact with my friends altogether, leaving me with little contact with outside world, and the cult mentality had more room to grow, not fully, but enough to unconsciously not fully trust 'worldly' people.

However, once I'd left the org and began to meet people again, I was amazed at actually how good, honest, loving, kind, and caring many people can be! Who love their spouses and children and try their very best to be good parents and partners. Much more than any JWs i knew. It's truly heart warming to come to that realisation that the whole world is not evil! To meet people who want to live a good life, who care about life and aren't waiting for the next one. And than your eyes are opened to the fact that many people actively help others in charity, even governments provide so many things to its citizens, all things that you didn't seem to see before.

It is one of the many things after exiting that made me realise I was brainwashed. And it is one of the things that I'm most resentful of, that the org took away my right to enjoy life and the people in it. I now see life so differently, and so much clearer.

Does anyone else feel the same?

• TOTH
    TOTH

My folks joined in 68 I think so I was around 5 when they began studying and in first grade when they were baptized. I knew LOTS of good people outside the tower. Aside from the punks who bullied me for not saluting the flag and doing Chrismas projects everyone including most of the teachers were good people. My best friend I now have had for about 40 years. Non denominational Christian guy. He and his family are the best people I ever met. Most jw's in my eyes were hypocrites, back biters and @ssh0les in general.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Same experience here ... exactly the same . Sorry to say it took me soooo very long to realize the lies I had been led to believe . Once you are out and stop filling your head with Witness nonsense you begin to 'really' see and appreciate the people around you .

• anezthy
    anezthy

I was not born in but had spent most of my life in this abominable organization. It struck me also that there could be sweet, nice, workable, sharing, caring people outside of the org. I mean, mustn't they have some demonic traits to them since they are not JW? Then it struck me... Jesus said that Satan cannot be divided within himself... Light has no bearing with darkness... "Worldly" folk are no different then any other folk. They are us and we are them. This org is what tries to divide people so they can conquer and survive as a business. I like worldly people. I have never been anything else. Just say'n

• Zordino
    Zordino

Inisc said "It is one of the many things after exiting that made me realise I was brainwashed. And it is one of the things that I'm most resentful of, that the org took away my right to enjoy life and the people in it. I now see life so differently, and so much clearer."

That is exactly how I feel! I am 38 and I'm only now just starting to feel comfortable around non JW's. Many JW's develop social phobia's because of mind warping crap that is pushed into people's brain regarding "Worldly People" God I HATE that expression! Worldy People. Its a label they put on non JW's and its another BS Tactic. There are a LOT of nice people out there and a few a**holes aswell but the friends I have now are a million times better than the JW robots I have/had. How can anyone become truly close friends if at any time, God forbid someone no longer believe's WT Bulls**t everyone will cut them off. Thats not true friendship, its conditional friendship.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Not to mention how mean and rotten many of the witlesses are. They can claim that the worst witless is worse than the best worldly person all they want--but, all it takes is for one baby-eating, child molesting, murdering, swindling witless to bust that myth. Such a person would be "the worst witless", yet they do everything they can to hide the problem rather than remove it. On the other hand, how does that compare with worldly people that are doing what they can to fight for your freedom--such as Alex Jones, risking his life to expose two of the three greatest threats (business and government)? Or, those police that are actually nice and don't shoot or taser first and ask questions later. There are also worldly people that work charities (independent of churches, at that) or that will do good works.

Also, what about worldly people that start businesses despite grand obstacles posed by the government? You have a need, the person has the product, and everyone benefits. Or, there are too many scams in the market, and one person tries (at risk of life and freedom) to upset that with their own product. Possibly even trying, at risk of liberty and life, to cure cancer! You think such people are worse than that baby-eating, child molesting parasite witless? (Or those trying to hide the problem)?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I was completely shocked that people in general are no different than JW's. Just as there is a huge variety of types in the congregation, there is also in society, and eventually you find amazing people to befriend. It takes time though after the JW indoctrination, as I felt like an alien looking in from the outside, not quite able to relate to people and their topics of conversation, and always feeling self-conscious and different. It has taken about 5 years to feel properly at ease.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

good thread. My wife was when I took her to her 1st business party. She was shocked that everyone was so normal

• 2tone
    2tone

Hey ricky bobby

A little off topic but I always knew something was wrong with the theory that everything in the world was bad. Because my grandmother who isnt a witness was a devout christian and always volunteered so much of her time with social work. I just had a hard time believing god would destroy her

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

The title of this thread shows in itself the damaging effect of that destructive cult.... There is no such thing as "worldly" people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit