This Year's Memorial the Shortest Ever

by compound complex 28 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

The Memorial last Thursday night was, to my recollection, the shortest I've ever attended. Thirty-five minutes. It was truly a Cliff Notes version. Many verses read, scant explanation. The passing of the emblems had no aura of importance or ceremony. A true-believer friend from another congregation said theirs was bad.

Can't say at this point in my life that I was disappointed, merely astonished at the downward slide in what was once an evening so important to many of us. The feeling I sensed was 'let's get this over with and get home' (we started late).

Thoughts?

CoCo

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

The feeling I sensed was 'let's get this over with and get home' (we started late).

It has gotten to that.

Marvin Shilmer

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

The brother that spoke at ours just seemed to drag on and on, by far the most boring memorial talk i've ever heard. I had to stand the whole time because I had to give up my seat and it seemed like forever, it was torture. I noticed the looks of contempt on some of the elders faces as they gave the special annoucement and read the letter. I have to agree with you the mood was very different from past years, I think the WTS is on the precipice of a mass walk out.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Marvin.

CoCo

For once in my lifetime, I actually enjoyed the memorial this year. I would attribute the enjoyment to the "altered state" of mind that I was in while standing in the back of the hall. I stood there and let my mind wander, and I burst out laughing on several occasions in response to the following thoughts:

1. The memorial is the only holiday celebrated by the JWS. They pass around the "emblems" but virtually no one is supposed to drink the wine or eat the crackers. The thrill, or joy associated with this event is the act of passing the crackers to the next person, or passing the wine to the next person. The elder who gave the talk acted like it was such a thrill to do that. I want whatever drug is used by the JWs to make passing crackers and wine to the next guy such an enjoyable experience.

2. Are these people as blind as they appear?

3. The elder that said, "we're looking forward to seeing you again here soon." I responded: "I'm confident that you'll be seeing me here next year, at about the same time and for the same event. Until then, it's way to soon for you to see me again."

3. The single mom "sister" who kept walking back and forth to the bathroom, so she could strut her stuff in front of me and act flirty (winks, smiles, etc.);

4. The "brother" who appeared to be wearing his polyester pants backwards;

5. The suit worn by the brother who gave the talk, and his voice was pretty funny too.

6. The little girl with her hands covering her ears as if she didn't want to hear the talk. I loved that kid!!!!

OK, I was a bit tipsy, but I had the best memorial experience I've ever had! I laughed so hard that I had to exit the hall several times to avoid making a scene.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

144001 - that was very disrespectful of you, you should be ashamed of yourself for that kind of behavior in the almighties house

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, also, tootired and 144,001:

Great comments, if bordering on the sacrilegious, 144! The only way, perhaps, to endure. What about the looks of contempt you mentioned, tootired? Why, do you think?

Notes not at hand but Brother Speaker said that some 11,000-plus partook last year with over 19 million (passers-but-not-partakers) total in attendance last year. Sheer numbers, supposedly, impress the masses.

CC

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I think it's because it's a reminder of yet another year passing and no great tribulation or armaggedon. Who would have thought we'd still be in this system of things in 2012? Many of the elders have got to be very tired and thinking in the back of their mind that they were sold a bill of goods by the WTS at this point, and thus the looks of contempt.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Very good observation, tootired. I sure see that here, too.

Thanks for posting!

CoCo

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I listened on the tieline. It did seem shorter, but I thought that was because I mostly ignored it. I laughed when the speaker mentioned that the remnant was decreasing each year. After the printed invitation asked, "How do you view Jesus?" And then promised, "You are invited to hear the answer." But the speaker didn't really address that. He used the same old outline. I guess we're just supposed to view Jesus as some Jewish dude passing around wine and crackers at the Passover every year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit