"The Adventists" - Program on Public TV right now....

by ziddina 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

One of their main teaching hospitals and univerities is in Loma Linda, Ca. the whole town is mostly SDA.

• cantleave
    cantleave

A lot of people get the 7th day adventists and 2nd adventists (from which the JW's evolved) mixed up.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Adventists say that the body is the temple... That the body is essentially good - people may do bad things with the body, but the body is essentially good...

They apparently believe in a literal physical resurrection - however that would work...??? With a heavenly hope????

I wonder whether Jethro Kloss who wrote "Back to Eden", was an Adventist? The comments they've just made, sound strikingly similar to his philosophy as stated in that book....

Hah!! They run wineries, even though most Adventists don't drink alcohol!!! And a hospital with weight-loss programs, located in the center of California's wine country...

And they started a 'quit-smoking' clinic, way back in 1969...

• ziddina
    ziddina

As I understand it, CantLeave, there is some common ancestry between the various Adventists groups???

Lemme go look that up...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Here's the beginning of the Wikipedia article on 'Adventists'...

"Adventism is a Christian movement which began in the 19th century, in the context of the Second Great Awakening revival in the United States. The name refers to belief in the imminent Second Coming (or "Second Advent") of Jesus Christ. It was started by William Miller, whose followers became known as Millerites. Today, the largest church within the movement is the Seventh-day Adventist Church. ..."

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventism

Now the TV program is discussing mental health - which they obviously mandate the latest forms of treatment....

Yet another contrast to the Jehovah's Witnesses...

It's like the Jehovah's Witnesses are the Adventists' evil twin...

• Gayle
    Gayle

ziddinia, thanks,

are the Adventist - larger and smaller related groups still 'end-timers?'

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

It's like the Jehovah's Witnesses are the Adventists' evil twin...

Very funny. I like that remark.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Thanks Zid

Good old Miller - if only he knew how many lives he would screw up!

• ziddina
    ziddina

[I don't like using Wikipedia all of the time, but I'm grabbing links on the run, here...]

From that above-mentioned link, the article goes on to say...

"Adventism began as an inter-denominational movement. Its most vocal leader was William Miller. Between 50,000 and 100,000 people in the United States supported Miller's predictions of Christ's return. After the "Great Disappointment" of October 22, 1844 many people in the movement gave up on Adventism. Of those remaining Adventist, the majority gave up believing in any prophetic (biblical) significance for the October 22 date, yet they remained expectant of the near Advent (second coming of Jesus). Of those who retained the October 22 date, many maintained that Jesus had come not literally but "spiritually", and consequently were known as "spiritualizers".A small minority held that something concrete had indeed happened on October 22, but this event had been misinterpreted. This viewpoint later emerged and crystallized with the Seventh-day Adventist Church, the largest remaining body today.
    Albany Conference: The Albany Conference in 1845, attended by 61 delegates, was called to attempt to determine the future course and meaning of the Millerite movement. Following this meeting, the "Millerites" then became known as "Adventists" or "Second Adventists". However, the delegates disagreed on several theological points. Four groups emerged from the conference: The Evangelical Adventists, The Life and Advent Union, the Advent Christian Church, and the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
    The largest group organized as the American Millennial Association, a portion of which was later known as the Evangelical Adventist Church. Unique among the Adventists, they believed in an eternal hell and consciousness in death. They declined in numbers, and by 1916 their name did not appear in the United States Census of Religious Bodies. It has diminished to almost non-existence today. Their main publication was the Advent Herald, of which Sylvester Bliss was the editor until his death in 1863. It was later called the Messiah's Herald. ..."

From the above information, this leapt out at me...

Of those who retained the October 22 date, many maintained that Jesus had come not literally but "spiritually", and consequently were known as "spiritualizers".

Which means that, before ol' Russell/Rutherford came up with that "invisible presence" of Jesus, the Adventists had already used that concept....

From the second paragraph above, it does appear that the "2nd-day Adventists" had a beginning in common with the 7th-Day Adventists, brief though it might have been, as the "Millerites" became known as the "2nd-day Adventists"...

The third paragraph says something to the effect that the "2nd-Day Adventists" have gone extinct; I'd say that they transmogrified [Thanks, Calvin & Hobbs!!] into the International Bible Students and then the Jehovah's Witnesses...

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "are the Adventist - larger and smaller related groups still 'end-timers...??" Gayle

I think they are - would need to do another internet search on that for more info, but...

I don't think they're quite as literal - or bloodthirsty - about it as the Jehovah's Witnesses are...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit