Memorial, why isn't there the post memorial excitement like there is with an assembly

by insearchoftruth 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I know that the assembly is supposed to get the folks all excited about how close we are to the 'end of this system of things' but when my wife attends a memorial, she says nothing at all after it, even though this is supposed to be the most important night of the year for them.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Their cognitive dissonance is having processing trouble with every Memorial. "Another Memorial? Armageddon isn't here yet?"
    Assemblies convince them it's delaying but not late- it's almost here. Memorials don't have any such convincing within them.

That, or they are upset there were no chocolate eggs and bunnies.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Thanks OTWO, I guess another reason is there is very little change in the memorial outline from year to year, I attended one with my wife and I read the outline from this year, sure seems to be the same, spend most of the time explaining why folks should not partake and then have a public service announcement at the end for the 'special talk' where we can all hear about how close to the end we are and then a push to get all eligibles in the field........yawn.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It was the Memorial of 1997 and Comet Hale-Bopp was all the buzz. Our speaker talked about scriptures that discussed celestial "signs" and whether Hale-Bopp was indeed that sign. So that particular year, those that heard him had their reminder that Armageddon was imminent. Of course, many then still believed that the 1914 generation was dying off and ignored the 1995 change in "generation."

• designs
    designs

'The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality'

George Bernard Shaw

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

And I think many of the folks, my wife included, have chosen to ignore the overlapping generations as well (or since the change has for the most part been so subtle, may not understand it) so the 'end buzz' is still preserved.....I think that there may be some residual buzz in the upcoming years due to the 100 years since the 'invisible return'.

I am still astonished that with all the push to get out invites that really the only post memorial buzz is the 'special talk' and then some time in the future to announce the world wide attendance......

Stupid Cult!

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

the whole thing is very negative and I think JWs are subconsciously aware of the negativity

• JediMaster
    JediMaster

Last year when I attended the memorial I got the funny feeling most people did not want to be there. Singing was horrible, more so than usual, 80% of the attendance came in about 10 min before the program started, and most left pretty quickly afterwards. When I talked to some friends from the US and Mexico about their Memorial a few of them mentioned the same thing w/o me bringing it up.

The memorial has nothing to do with remembering Christ's death. It's only a way for the anointed, more so the GB to elevate themselves over their "brothers" and remind them why it is so important to obey them w/o question.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The Memorial was always regarded as a sombre event so it was considered disrespectful to go out afterwards and "celebrate".

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I am not asking about a celebration afterwards, what surprises me is they don't 'talk up' that they had the memorial, how it is so important and attended by SOOOOO MANY people after they have held it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit