How do you Spell Disfellowshipped?

by RayPublisher 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• therevealer
    therevealer

Look it up in the Newwwworld trannnslation of the ..... of forget it, it's not in the bible. And since the trinity thingy is all wrong cuz that word can't be found in the bible ..... well I guess it applies here as well.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

W O O H O O

Two words

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The first time, you are disfellowshiped.

The second time, you are disfellowshipped.

The third time, you are disfellowshippped.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

And the fourth time, YOU ARE EITHER NUTS or a masochist if you try and get re-instated!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The other irony in regards to the WTS's DFing policy is that its not scripturally supported.

Nowhere in the bible does it state to publicly announce that a person is evil and all are not to talk or associate with that person. The advise in the bible is concerning associating with people who are deemed behaving immorally, that people who do can also be drawn into their social behavior patterns. So the WTS/JWs has no scriptural basis to do what they do. Most the other Christian based religions do not do what the WTS. does, unless of course the individual becomes an open apostate against the religion, then a shunning policy would be placed upon that person and if it was in biblical times or medieval times, that person would most likely be killed for speaking up against the religion by order of the high priests or lofty spiritual seers .

• JeffT
    JeffT

According to the professional editor I'm working with on my novel there is no such word in the English language. Microsoft word doesn't recognize it either way.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

My copy of the Shorter Oxford Dictionary , an old one , published in 1933, lists "Disfellowship" stating its first use as being in 1608 and that it is equivalent to "Excommunicate" and says the word is now (now being 1933) in the English of the U.S.A

It does not offer a past tense or a noun usage, for the act of excommunication, so the use of one or two "P's" is not solved by this old tome.

I would err on the side of thinking that it would be more correct to use just asingle "p", but I must admit that my gut feeling may be caused by the fact that the WT now seem to favour two p's and therefore it must be wrong, by default.

Why they have to use an obviously obsolete word that no one else does, and produce neologisms for the past tense etc of that word, I fail to understand, is it just to sound different from the main stream Churches, who hardly ever use the power, but call it what it truly is to them, Excommunication?

Or is it driven by the fact that most people they DF do not ever have "Communion" as they just pass the wine and bread to their left on Memorial night ?

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I agree, AnneB, that was a GREAT post. I like the way you listed the Downers then the Uppers!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

When one considers all the commercialized false doctrines this religion/publishing company has come up with

since its existence, it no wonder they would institute a firm excommunication (DF) policy around itself.

Its an organization that was perceived and founded upon lies and corruption, to mostly attract attention to

its published works and to empower men at the executive top of the organization.

There was so much division within the organization at one time that 2/3 left . (1930's)

This corruption is now openly being exposed on the inter-net to the displeasure and discomfort of the leaders of the WTS. today.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I don't think its outdated. My research indicated that it's used by Mormons, and some fundamentalist and adventist groups as well as JW's. My guess is that it is one more thing the Watchtower stole from the adventists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit