How do you Spell Disfellowshipped?

by RayPublisher 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sheep2slaughter
  • Jeffro
    Jeffro

It depends on what year it is.

Since 1982, they've spelled it "disfellowshipped". Except for once in a 1984 Watchtower, it has only appeared as "disfellowshiped" since 1982 when quoting an older JW publication.

Before 1982, they spelled it, "disfellowshiped", except in the 1975 and 1970 Yearbooks, where it was spelled "disfellowshipped"--apparently a glimmer of 'new lightâ„¢'.

Same goes for the non-standard "disfellowshiping", which was also used prior to 1982, though the 1975 Yearbook used "disfellowshipping".

Apparently the Writing Departmentâ„¢ took some time to learn about standard English suffixes.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

JeffT:

I don't think its outdated. My research indicated that it's used by Mormons, and some fundamentalist and adventist groups as well as JW's. My guess is that it is one more thing the Watchtower stole from the adventists.

Mormons use the term "disfellowshipment" to refer to sanctions similar to what JWs call 'restrictions' and does not involve shunning. Mormon shunning is called "excommunication".

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

"Immpresive" Mr. Jeffro!

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Good one, 00DAD.... And I like AnneB's post.

So was the one-p a mispelling or was it just an antiquated way of spelling the word?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Chemical Emotions:

So was the one-p a mispelling or was it just an antiquated way of spelling the word?

Failure to double the 'p' when applying suffixes in certain words is common in 'US English', in which the use of a single 'p' for these words is considered a valid alternative (although 'shiped' is not acceptable even in 'US English').

"mispelling" is a misspelling.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Jeffro !!! a fellow pendant ! or should that be ...... ? hang around, I'll find out.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Phizzy:

Jeffro !!! a fellow pendant ! or should that be ...... ? hang around, I'll find out.

Very punny.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

DISSED by FELLOWS who r SHIT.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The 1947 Funk & Wagnall doesn't have disfellowshipped. (Same year as Rudderless' Excommunication rant)

It does have fellowship and gives the verb as fellowshipped and fellowshiped, fellowshipping and fellowshiping.

My guess is that they invented it, so they can spell it any way they want. They wouldn't have wanted to use the word 'excommunicated' because they needed to portray themselves as being different from them evil Christendomites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit