Can you invision WTS easing anti-gay position?

by irondork 19 Replies latest jw friends

• irondork
    irondork

I was reading the article posted in slimboyfat's thread: Mormons decline because of internet, ( http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/31/us-mormonchurch-idUSTRE80T1CM20120131 )

Former Mormon church reseacher, Ray Briscoe was quoted: "I have never been associated with an organization that changes as fast as the Mormon church. I don't think God was ever against blacks in the priesthood. We just had to grow up enough to accept it." As for gays -- "it will get there, in my judgment."

The thrust of the "gay" part of that article had to do with the church's stance on political issues. Politics is not something the WTS is likely to get involved with. I also doubt we'll ever see a gay marraige at the local kingdom hall.

The thing that got me to finally leave the JW's was not necessarily their stated position of "hate the sin/love the sinner". I made it clear to the JC that I believed they got the gay thing wrong, was waiting for the ban to be lifted, and was willing to remain celebate in the meantime just so I could be in Jehovah's organization. The thing that put me out the front door of the JW camp were the unwritten rules that absolutely apply against gays; the reality that exists on the ground, not the feel-good side notes in Watchtower articles that ocassionally remind the brothers to play nice even with people who disgust us.

Being an openly gay JW will keep you near the center of the gossip machine, marked, shunned (while still active), joked about, "don't touch my kids", insulted with limp-wristed gestures toward you in the field service car group... oh how the list could go on. The hierarchy paints this horrible picture about all the despicable things gay people ARE, that their "play nice with others" message falls flat.

The Mormon church seems to be learning a lesson here. Do you think the WTS has the wherewithal to do the same?

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

I don't ever see this happening. JW's are fundemental fundementalist! You really went the extra mile to acomodate them. In the end you knew what had to happen. You had to move on to avoid thier judgemental gossipy conditional love. Irondork, you seem to be a good man. peacetoyou paulnotsaul

• rebel8
    rebel8

Here they are pretty much hardcore jw fundies. Yet I think there is an acceptance that it's not a choice and they are ok with it.

This is surprising since they are extreme about everything else. The only theory I have is they are soooo pro-male here that they are willing to accept anything males do much more than anything non-male-related.

I made it clear to the JC that I believed they got the gay thing wrong, was waiting for the ban to be lifted, and was willing to remain celebate in the meantime just so I could be in Jehovah's organization.

Looking back, how do you feel about your offer to remain celibate?

But on the positive side, the person said, "having a Mormon president could raise the church's profile and legitimize it in other countries."

ITA with this point from the article. Prominent people's lifestyles are legitimized in the public view, to a certain point. I think the election of a Mormon president would set society so far back in its awareness of the dangers of cults.

• mP
    mP

its funny they are anti gay but the big hero king david was bisexual, with his boy toy jonathan. abraham was another who had men fondle his balls.

• rebel8
    rebel8

^ I just tried to look that up but only found references stating platonic relationships. ???

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

its funny they are anti gay but the big hero king david was bisexual, with his boy toy jonathan

You know, this is the kind of shit that pisses me off. People coming out criticizing the bible, and they don't even have their facts straight! Considering their ages, it is much more logical that david was jonathan's boy toy---not the other way around. Sheesh!

NC

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Never gonna happen.

• irondork
    irondork

rebel8: Looking back, how do you feel about your offer to remain celibate?

Of course, looking back now I realize my offer to remain celebate was driven by as much ignorance and naivete as my willingness to marry my female roommate just so others wouldn't gossip about our living arrangement. I got sucked in to both - I live with the consequences of both.

We all have our baggage.

• irondork
    irondork

To clarify, I love my roommate dearly. Our living arrangement is what it is by choice. I couldn't imagine life without her. But due to circumstances, neither of us is free to take a real mate now.

• jws
    jws

Can't see it happening. The JWs are under a lot more pressure to relax things like blood transfusions, shunning, and probably bans on birthdays than their stance on homosexuality. That's something most other religions also shun and most religious people also shun. As long as there is support for their position among even other religions, they'll feel smug. And even if other religions relax and change their view, has that ever made a difference to JWs - what other religions do?

Do you think they'll ever ease up on sex outside of marriage or adultery? Don't see that happening either. Some things are just too fundamental in Christianity.

Hopefully mankind will outgrow religion with it's ancient rules and prejudices. That seems to be happening and could resolve the conflict before JWs change their position.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit