CRAZINESS!!! I'M BEING 'MARKED' FOR GOING TO COLLEGE!!!

by MsGrowingGirl20 100 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Roberta804:

They said they would have to disfellowship me if I participated in nationals because I was setting a wrong message to other JW children.

I'm sorry to hear this considering the fact that you might have been able to point out to them -- if this was true at the time competing in nationals was relevant to you as a teenager -- that Venus and Serena Williams were both Jehovah's Witnesses and professional athletes in tennis (I believe Serena Williams has been rated #1 in her sport more than once). They were both Jehovah's Witnesses in good standing as well as professional athletes.

@djeggnog

• out4good3
    out4good3

You could have always written a disclaimer!!!!

thriller

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Mark them for poverty when u graduate

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

No person should be advised to hide the fact that he/she is attending college.

• out4good3
    out4good3

Leave it to the WT wh-organization to take what would normally be considered a lauded achievable goal and something to be proud of and croon about and turn it into something that should either be kept a big secret or talked about in hushed tones.

Shhh

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

To answer what marked means, it basically means you won't be invited to JW social gatherings anymore. Sorry. Not that it should be that big a loss, eh?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I didn't think a marked person could continue to pioneer. Are they making you step down.

In the 1980's when uni was a big no-no I was a regular pioneer and going to Uni. It had everyone confused, as all the people complaining to the Circuit Overseer and elders were not pioneering. Since I was pioneering they assumed I had retained Jehovah's blessing and was left alone.

• paladin
  • Pams girl
    Pams girl

Its going to get worse, the noose is just going to get tighter and tighter. Have you finished reading crisis of conscience yet?

You are on the radar now..........

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Imagine all the good you can do for religion by obtaining the skills college teaches. Rather than an insult, it is a high honor to be marked. Although it may feel differently, you only care about the elders and being marked b/c you give them legitimacy. Practice asserting yourself.

I come from a long line of JWs. Knowing key people at Bethel makes a difference. Skip the local dudes and find out which prominent members at Bethel have college educations. There has to be a way of finding out this info. Perhaps Barbara Anderson and other former Bethelites know. You cannot be disfellowshipped. It may be uncomfortable but it is worth the discomfort. In the unlikely case that you want to remain a JW, they will come begging you for your skills and knowledge.

The WTBTs wants total deference. Yet those powers at Bethel were not meek. College does not change your character. Studies show that contrary to what Rick Santorum said, almost all studies show a college education increases faith. Notice the value that people who have a college education place on it. They will starve to make certain their children have that benefit.

If this problem continues, pls speak to a college counselor. It is an exciting time. You don't need negative messages in your head. Do you want to be an elder when you get older? Look at the Witnesses in the KH --they are a priceless advertisement for college.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit