Strategically, the GB should accept 587

by I Want to Believe 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

Right now, the 587/607 is a major weak link; doctrines can be argued in circles for days, but the overwhelming evidence for 587 is damning to their entire theology, and it can be found with very little effort.

However, if they just bite the bullet and "new light" a 587 date for Jerusalem's destruction it solves a lot of their problems:

-Removes their main weak secular point of argument

-Pushes the start of the Kingdom to 1935, giving them another 20 years

-Lets "woe for Earth" make more sense: September 15, 1935 The Nuremberg Laws go into effect in Germany and other indications of Hitler's slow rise to power, vesus Satan being cast down to WWI already in progress.

-Lets them completely throw Russell under the bus, so it's harder to dispute being chosen by Jesus for their early teachings

-Would actually lend some foundational reason to say why the Earthly hope suddenly came up in 1935

Sure, they'd lose a few, but they're losing them now anyway. Not much of a long-term downside to it; I bet they'll have to do this eventually.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I disagree.

There is little upside to making all of those changes. They already have their 1914 followed by 1919 selection because of Rutherfraud's jail sentence. JWs don't care one bit whether Jerusalem was destroyed in 587 or 607...Where else would they go?

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

...because of Rutherfraud's jail sentence.

Ruther-who?

Please, thay can throw him under the bus as well so quickly if it perpetuates the scam.

The way magazines are "written" today, reliance on "history" is what, 20-25 years back, just enough to quote some WT article..

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

However, if they just bite the bullet and "new light" a 587 date for Jerusalem's destruction it ...

- draws attention to the fact that 'God's spirit-directed channel of communication' has had it spectacularly wrong for the best part of a century.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Don't give them ideas! :)

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

IWTB, I think you issed your calling at Bethel -- Writing Department! Fred Franz reincarnated.

But the previous comments are true, in that, most JWs don't know squat about 607 vs 587; they never understood how all the 2520 mumbo jumbo came upto 607; they don't even pretend to understand what the Oct/Nov 607 articles were about or why they had to be written - it all sounds factual to them; they don't even remember 1975 let alone 607. And.......................where else would they go? It's the closest thing to the Truth! It's the best way of life!

Doc

• tornapart
    tornapart

Thay had their chance in the 70's but did nothing. I can't see them doing it now.

• baltar447
    baltar447

They just came out and comitted to insisting that 607 is the accurate date. They have made their theological manure pile and now they have to play in it.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

According to WT theology, even when they print errors, it's the proper food at the proper time.

Having God on your side means never having to apologize.

Where else could they go?

PS: Why should anyone connect the Book of Daniel to the Book of Luke? 607, 587, whatever, there is no Armageddon.

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

@DesirousOfChange: First rule of warfare is to know your enemy as well you know yourself. But it's not hard to think like the writing department; it just takes imagination, since no actual facts are required.

@baltar447: They've done pretty quick turnarounds before. They even had a KM listing Gilead as a school and by the time the part was on the KMS it was already closed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit