Question for elders about MEMORIAL EMBLEMS...

by Alfred 19 Replies latest jw friends

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

One year the secratary called me in the back and kept handing me glasses of wine wo drink. After I downed 3 glasses in less than ten mins he was like "You aren't driving tonight are you? Yep. I am taking a carfull of bethelites home, but Jehovah will look after us!"

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

It depends on who makes the bread. One 'anointed' bro said he always hoped it was a particular sister who was given the job of making it because the other commonly-used sister would make it so rock-hard you broke teeth on it. And it usually tasted like cardboard.

After the Memorial a generous dollop of garlic cheese would enhance bread that was made well.

The wine, however, NEVER goes to waste!

• Blind_Of_Lies
    Blind_Of_Lies

It was tradition at our hall to have a small gathering of friends after the memorial and the whine was put to good use. That freakin blew my mind. They take extra care not to have the ceremony until after sundown but then they go full cannibals on the representation of the Zombie Jew’s flesh and blood!

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

The bread is thrown out and the wine is drunk if it's any good

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

Kids will eat the bread and adults will drink the wine.

• james_woods
    james_woods

To be quite honest, the "bread" really is thrown away as it is completely worthless as human food.

My mother used it make it at home, and it was indeed quite disgusting. Kind of like a potato chip gone horribly wrong.

As for both of the emblems - you could taste them both before the first prayer and after the last prayer without any "spiritual implications" - they were no longer "magic" after the final prayer on memorial night.

I remember that Marion Dunlap and I used to go buy the finest red Bourdeaux every year - nobody even tasted it, and we would enjoy it later that night after it was no longer "magic". We even counted time for it - (buying the wine). They had "rules" about the wine - it had to be "natuarally fermented" and not "fortified" by distilled spirits. Fine Bourdeaux fitted that just fine.

The last JW memorial I ever attended was (if I recall correctly) 1979. I was the speaker that year. The outline was not followed - I just read the scriptures that talked about this and did the ceremony. I enjoyed having several of the kids up on the stage after the end and letting them have a sip of the wine and a taste of the bread.

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

When I was a kid, my dad was an elder and our family was in charge of providing the matzoh and wine. The wine was poured back in the bottle and the matzoh back in the box it came in and when we got home from the meeting my parents would drink the wine while giggling and saying "we're so naughty" or "I wonder if we'll go to heaven now ha ha ha" etc. and even let my sister and I try a little bit. The matzoh was pretty bland and not great but it all seemed like we shouldn't touch that stuff, like it was "special" or something.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Just goes to show how seriously they REALLY take the sybolic nature of it all. Ok it is just wine, but out of respect you really would pour it away. But no, thinking they are cool for doing so, they ALWAYS take it and drink it, no doubt feeling a teeny bit odd and guilty all the while thinking it is "way cool" that they have the authority to take it home and drink it.

What a sham. Also I bet it comes out of the cong accounts too so doubtless it will be shit, I wonder what wine they purchase? Is it a specific type that bethel demand?

When you think about it, what a strange and odd concept. Going to a store, buying wine to be passed around a bunch of people to let it represent Jesus's blood.... so freaking weird! The fact most dont see the OBVIOUS pagan roots to this ceremony is just as mysterious in itself.

The things you find normal, when everyone around you tells you its normal!

Snare x

P.s. check out my new blog if you would xxx muchos loveos science-in-wonderland.blogspot.co.uk

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

I made wheat matzos last year for our memorial at home.

It was so thick that while baking and turning over, it puffed up in the middle like pitas.

They were a plain recipe from the web, and are okay with jelly.

Mrs. Being thought the wine was of good quality, imported from Jerusalem.

We're Aware, not anointed; but I'm researching the Eucharist.

There's multiple perspectives explained on Wikipedia;

including the Apostolic Fathers who knew Y'esuwah our Messiah.

Mrs. Being wants to know JWN posters view, not WT's...

on the bread, wine, and possible Eucharist (wine/water mix)?

My thought is:

"Could the Eucharist be for those who didn't receive the gifts of the spirit?"

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

@AnneofMaly - " The wine, however, NEVER goes to waste!"

This is definitely true lol. After the event someone would always take the wine home...and drink it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit