WHY R U AVOIDING this?

by puzzled 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• puzzled
    puzzled

I was just reading moxy's post "Biggest Mathematical Miracle in the World"
    and as I was reading all the logical reasons why It would have been impossible at least physically impossible, for that many Israelites not to mention even one, to wonder through the desert 40 years and not leave a trace of their even having been there.
    The only thing that seems to be more incredible then that is how many people on earth believe it. Regardless of weather it's true or not what is it that continues to inspire millions and billions of people to continue to believe? That's what's really incredible. The stories are not that incredible if you were to remove the words "Holy Bible" from the cover, give it a different title and place it in the fiction isle next to "Grims Fairy Tales" or "The Grinch that Stole Christmas."
    As far as I know humans are the only creatures on the planet to possess "Logic" and "Reason."
    You can't count whales and dolphins so don't bother to try. They don't read or write books.
    So far no one has proven how long exactly humans have existed but just for argument sake lets say we've only had the ability to reason for 6,000 or so years.
    Even children stop believing in Santa clause at an early age because they can reason and apply logic and figure it out.
    The same goes for any fantasy. We go see "Lord of the Rings because it's entertaining. No body walks out of the theater (I don't think anyway) actually believing all that really happened. Do they?
    But for some reason the Bible and the Torah to name a couple, have survived as factual accounts for thousands of years and people continue to not only believe in them but rely on them as a means for survival.
    There has to be a bigger and better explanation for this other then the humans need to believe in something. That explanation by itself just doesn't make any sense at all or have any logic.
    If I wanted to believe in something just for the only purpose of believing in something I would find something that was more fun.
    I wonder if anyone has an answer for that?

• Gadget
    Gadget

bttt

• Francois
    Francois

Try "The Tao Te Ching" by Lao Tzu, 600 B.C.

No unbelievable stories.
    No parables.
    No miracles.
    Just a close examination of the nature of reality, er, Reality, and how to align one's self with that reality which the author calls "The Tao".

It's very common sense approach can be seen in the simple statement that "the God you can name is not the eternal God" and leaves you to figure out why that is so. In this figuring out process spiritual growth is attained. And the same is true with all its few, laconic verses, such as the importance of going in the direction of the vast flow of time and events.

Suggest reading many different translations until you have it down.

Only about 5,000 words. Remember, The Master came to make The Way more clear. The Tao Te Ching merely stated The Way as simply as possible.

Enjoy

• gumby
    gumby
    There has to be a bigger and better explanation for this other then the humans need to believe in something. That explanation by itself just doesn't make any sense at all or have any logic.

Actually humans see logic in believing in something because of the seemingly "design and wonder" around them. Humans reason that only something higher than themselves could cause something such as life and it's "miracles".

The "age of reason " is getting more popular and people are beggining to "reason" such as yourself.

We are victims of our surroundings. We are surrounded by Christianity and other religious thought from birth and it's all we know. Muslims know their stuff, and we "know" our stuff. It's seems to be the minority who dares to look beyond what they have always percieved as normal truths.

Gumby

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

"Cogito, ergo sum!"

Descartes

• heathen
    heathen

I remember seeing a documentary on moses and the Israelites wondering the dessert and they believe they have found some evidence that shows an ancient Israelite encampment with some stones set in some kind of formation and some carvings that depict the twelve tribes , yadda yadda .I don't blame people for wanting to believe in something more later on as this life is so filled with misery and of course usually caused by people who think they have the inside trac on God .

• La Capra
    La Capra

Humans are also the only creatures who have the ability to imagine things that don't exist, and fantasize about things that aren't true. Imagination and Fancy are the flip side of the Logic and Reason coin. Can you have one without the other? I hope not. Mythical history may or may not truly have happened, but, for hundreds of generations, people have believed it happened. Rather than focusing on whether it happened, I focus on what it means that people believe it happened. Shoshana

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    "Cogito, ergo sum!"

Descartes

"Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum!" - Ambrose Bierce

• gumby
    gumby
    "Cogito, ergo sum!"

"Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum!" - Ambrose Bierce

OK.....tell the rest of us dummies what the hell that means. Gumby

• gumby
    gumby
    The Master came to make The Way more clear.

You talking bout Jesus there Francois? I thought you doubted his existence.( I'm probably wrong)

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit