In love with a JW...

by CuriousUK 156 Replies latest social relationships

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Hi Curious - I just thought I should add something that I'm not sure has been mentioned so far....you're hearing all of our comments and advice but you know (and this is the dangerous bit) if you do go to a Kingdom Hall and perhaps start a study...you will be treated like gold ...they will 'love bomb' you for sure. Most new people see a wonderful community of kind people trying to live a morally clean life with a strong faith in God and the Bible. I know I did...I thought they were really lovely.

It's only after you're 'in' that everything changes and you see the other side of the coin....so just to prepare you in case you go along to see for yourself (and why shouldn't you) try and keep in mind that the initial 'honeymoon' period is what it is....just a honeymoon that doesn't last.

Loz x

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Welcome CuriousUK!

You've taken a very good approach by the way getting his view on how your job, it's a normal question which should get an honest response. Clearly you're talented and put a lot into your career and I just wanted you to get an insight into how JW's would view your job and therefore why they would put considerable pressure on you to give it up.

1) You can't have a job that means you cannot attend every meeting, be able to participate in preaching and attend the conventions for 2 or 3 weekends a year.

2) You cannot have a job that might conflict with being a JW. So elders will want to know the content of the plays you stage manage - do they contain any violence, swearing, immoral themes or simply promote anything that is ungodly? You could not manage anything with a Christmas theme.

3) Are you required to mix with anyone that could harm your spirituality? That would particularly mean someone gay.

4) What would you do to let your colleagues know that you are a practicing JW so they are aware of your stand on all items 2) and 3).

5) Taking any job that means you are away from the marital bed at night would raise suspicion of infidelity especially as a woman. It wouold only be a matter of time before you were tempted.

6) Does your job require you to mix with worldly people? How would you get out of after show parties etc?

7) As a woman studing to be a JW pressure would be put on you for all of the above reasons to quit your job. If you refuse I doubt very much that you could be baptised. Therefore you would not be eligible for marriage to your b/f. Your B/f, as the future head of the house would be pressured to make you quit and as a JW you should submit to his advice.

8) If you are willing to change your career to something dull and unfullfilling (which you will have to do) think about your children. They will be indoctrinated against education their whole lives and told to take rubbish jobs.

These things came to mind as I'm here, doing my job, that I'm very lucky to have despite growing up with no qualifications and doing rubbish part time jobs while I was a full time JW preacher. I've spent a decade or more getting educated and throwing caution to the wind to get back on track in terms of a career. This all whilst slowly extracting myself from this cult. A side point - during that time I've learned that women are equals because growing up a JW I believed they were second class citizens - not a nice religion towards women.

I hope this has given you a little insight into a JW's view.

It's a really selfless thing to give up your career for someone. But you won't be giving it up for your b/f - it's for a religion that does not care about you. If he wants to you give this up - he doesn't love you - really he doesn't.

mmxiv

• N.drew
    N.drew

Excellent post MMXIV and true. Good thing to think about, I thought similarly; If he wants to you give this up - he doesn't love you - really he doesn't.

• caliber
    caliber

If a man finds himself falling madly head over heals in love with someone. ... then he is experiencing a feeling, an emotion. It comes from his heart. however ones attitude comes from his mind.

The truth is that there are all sorts of things happening at any given time and we select on a subliminal level to only notice those things that validate our existing belief system
    The reason that attitude wins the battle over our feelings in the long haul is that feelings are ever changing and flexible while attitudes are often locked into place and become law in our minds. Our inner core attitudes control us... unless we made concerted effort to change them !

• mouthy
    mouthy

The only reason so many are answering your query is because WE HAVE BEEN IN THE WT & know what it is >>>a CULT!!!!
    I have a wonderful friend ( man) who met his wife in Vancover ,( He was from Ontario, ) he started speaking to her & found out
    she had just given birth to a little boy( he was 3 months) She told him she also was from Ontario. He was a Christian ,she said she
    was a Jehovahs Witness,& had moved to Vancouver as the Father of the boy was not a JW.& Her Father was an elder JW in Ontario
    She moved because she would have been DF if she had stayed in Ontario ...Her Father ( the elder ) suggested she"hide"
    Anyway to make a long story short. They eventually ended up getting married after a few months, He felt he could lead her to Christ
    She evidently thought she would entice him to the Cult. They returned as a Married couple to Ontario,Pretended to all the congregation
    that My friend was the babies father.He adopted him...Her Elder Daddy was so relieved... Now that baby is 25.was raised as a JW against my friends wishes. They had a son together ,now 20 she taught those kids all about Jehovah. My Friend tried all he could to stop it but she was home all day with them,whereas he had to travel alot with his work,He tried ,tried, to reason with them all.But to no avail. The eldest son ( not really His )
    is DF for drugs, the younger son ( His own son)is a devote Jw. Married a JW girl. So if you marry this guy....Remember The WT has a very
    strong hold on minds that they "cuff" My friend and his wife are still together,But he is very unhappy with the situation.She does attend
    His family Christmas get togethers, ( which she really isnt allowed to do. )But he supports her very comfortable so why would she not
    He attends our support group. She knows that. Is very angry about that,But he says "quit the Kingdom Hall I will quit the support group"
    700.have gone through our group...Many have lost all their family on orders of the WT

Sorry to be so Mouthy But if you DO read this .Please pray about your outcome weather to stay with him or leave

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

oh and I just want to add that if you attend any meetings - watch the people carrying the microphones. You'll notice they're only men - women aren't worthy of that even if they experienced in stage direction. Yeah because God says men have a monopoly on microphones? There are a million things wrong with JW's - many who've commented have spent decades absorbing all those abnormalities and deprogramming the views.

The thing is some JW are really nice, but the beliefs do bring out the worst in people - especially making people judgemental and it is very damaging. It's so controlling. If everything that JW's really believed and taught were included into a privacy statement - you'd never sign up - no-one would.

mmxiv

• CuriousUK
    CuriousUK

MMXIV - thank you so much for this insight. My job is immensely important to me and I have worked very hard for ten years to get where I am today. You have answered a number of questions I had about this. I am currently touring a play with one (male) actor, about the contentious issue of assisted suicide, with swearing... And we stay in hotels three nights a week, obviously in separate rooms. I have never been unfaithful to a partner ever whilst away, but with everything you have described, I may end up heading down that route. My boss is a young gay man too...

And what you say about some JW being really nice - I truly believe this. I find it hard to believe that they are bad people, just misguided in many ways and sucked into this cult.

What other practical questions could I ask my chap, before I get stuck into the spiritual stuff? I'm really interested in getting all the information about what my life would be like on a daily basis, and have found this a truly enlightening experience.

And yes, if he really loved me as much as he said he did, he would be willing to compromise and listen to my point of view. I have always held true to people's opinions being valid, even if I disagree with them. I really want to be able to have an open and honest dialogue with him and lay everything on the table for him, with hard facts behind me...

• james_woods
    james_woods
    What other practical questions could I ask my chap, before I get stuck into the spiritual stuff? I'm really interested in getting all the information about what my life would be like on a daily basis, and have found this a truly enlightening experience.
    I really want to be able to have an open and honest dialogue with him and lay everything on the table for him, with hard facts behind me...

The problem is that you cannot assume that he is willing (or even able) to tell you the truth about what life would be like married to a JW...

• CuriousUK
    CuriousUK

I am supposed to get a reply this evening to my original email. I received a quick note last night from his iPad saying that he had been too busy to reply so far, but he would be able to respond better.

I shall keep you updated... But I fear I may just be fobbed off as james_woods says above - that he might not be willing or able to tell me. I wonder if he has delayed telling me his reply because he is seeking advice from his KH... Sorry, getting cynical now!

• james_woods
    james_woods
    But I fear I may just be fobbed off as james_woods says above

I love English slang expressions...

But, yeah - stay a little cynical about this.

JWs even have a doctrinal policy that says it is OK to lie to people in order to convert them. They call it "theocratic strategy".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit