Without God, Do Humans Have More Intrinsic Value Than Animals?

by leavingwt 64 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

Actually, "man" in general does not think that any longer - and probably never did.

Ummm,, really? I'm not gonna be rude and say "mwah hahahaha",,, but I want to?

Fossil fuels?

Destruction of the rain forests?

Capitalism run rampant?

No, I respectfully disagree.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

ps... love the passionate debate ,,,, disagree doesn't have to mean disrespect, and I hope I convey that. Apologies if it reads differently.

t

• mP
    mP

@mp

Its sad that man thinks he can poison and destroy the environment, overfish etc but until something happens theres no force to change that.

@james_woods

Actually, "man" in general does not think that any longer - and probably never did.

It is a positive point of proof for man's sensitivity to the other species that we are having this debate.

@mp

Debate or words even are cheap. Talk doesnt in anyway change the status quo or improve anything. In the end we all continue to consume and think we are top priority. Man by definition is selfish, always has been, always will be. Im not saying that is bad im just stating the facts as i see them.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I don't agree mp...words are worth gold.

The reason the environment has been able to be exploited in the past is due to ignorance. As we are becoming more educated about our effect on the environment we are making positive changes. Yes they are happening slower than we would like. But they are happening.

We are limiting fishing quotas, we are protesting about drilling in the arctic, we are now more aware of the effect of the rainforests in our lives. How does this come about....it begins with words and information. It is a powerful thing. Don't underestimate it. What we read can effect our choice of purchases, directly effecting the suppliers of those goods. One example I can think of off hand is Cadbury using palm oil. Well that meant nothing to me until I read more about it. Once I knew what that was I made the decision to avoid Cadbury until they changed this ingredient. So did many others. If it effects their bottom line they will make the change. All brought about by words.

People who visit this site read the words of others and they can have a profound effect on their lives. They did in mine.

• talesin
    talesin

People who visit this site read the words of others and they can have a profound effect on their lives. They did in mine.

Agreed! It is a truism ---- words are the instigators for revolution .... without communication, no change would ever happen.

Good point, Still.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit