JW's 'put off living'

by Lady Viola 26 Replies latest jw friends

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

PaintedToeNail - to be fair, it wasn't those in the congo that were discouraging me (on the whole - there is always an odd one). The biggest influences were the WT article and Convention talk about "Responsible Childbearing In This Time of the End" which stuck in the back of my mind for years and mental pictures like fleeing with a toddler in the great tribulation.

---

A quote I saw the other day:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

(bookmarked)

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

My jw mom was in her 30's before becoming a jw, so she already had kids and was on her third marriage. Even so, she has no family life with her kids or siblings, (even the two who are jw). From what I hear, she's isolated herself with a few select jw friends, two of which are a nephew and his wife who are close to her in age. It's really very sad, because she could be grandma and great grandma to my brother's and my stepkids and their children.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

I've only begun living my life within the last 4-5 years. As in going out,traveling,concerts,ball games,etc.

I was always of the mind to put the kingdom first. I probably let some potential relationships pass me by because they weren't witnesses. Chances to go places or do things I know I passed up. If I have kids I'll always support them and what they want to do and their dreams.

You live you learn. I try to learn something new everyday and build on that.

• biometrics
    biometrics

When people constantly beleive "The end is coming" of course they put things off, or behave irrationally. While the end may be coming, focusing on that event every day of your life isn't good.

I know I've put off many things. I know of many young married couples who put off having kids because of "The Truth". Tragically, I know a young couple who were in a car accident, the wife died. They never had kids because they wanted to server "Where the need is greater" or "Where we need more recurits" as I like to put it.

• biometrics
    biometrics

I still remember thinking I'd never get married or have kids because I woudln't/didn't want to get baptized, yet the only group I knew/networked with was the Witnesses (born in). Of course any girl I talked to the elders would quickly point out I wasn't "strong" in the truth, and discourage the girl and her parents from having anything to do with me.

After reading stories here, I'm so glad I didn't marry a JW girl. I found my wife outside "The truth".

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And what are they going to do when they find out that the New Dark Ages is a scam? Trouble with religion, you need to die in order to find out that you are not getting anything special because you were obedient. By then, it is too late.

Also, what is the extra reward for doing more? This is as true with any religion. Going to a few boasting sessions and one hour of field circus per month should get you just as in as wasting your life running the show, doing missionary work in every hellhole country in the world, and taking the strictest stand on every issue. Other Christian religions share this problem--if you can go to heaven by reciting the Magic Prayer, why in hell do you need to do anything more? I am NOT going to improve my situation one teensy weensy bit by giving up everything, and then going to a place like Nigeria and wasting my whole life doing missionary work and planting churches. Is there any PROOF that making the extra sacrifice is going to result in better conditions later? If not, then I would rather simply live my life, and not have that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag meddling by closing out my options so I will have less disincentive to not do the Nigeria mission (which seems to be where most of the Christian and Jehovah's Witless missionaries end up getting sent).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit