How Come I Rarely See People In Field Service, Vs The 1980-1990s Doing House2House?

by Bubblegum Apotheosis 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I moved to my present address in 1999 and have never had a visit by the JWs. At first I thought it was because they only came out during the week and since I worked week days I must have missed their visits. However, I retired in 2009 and except for a yearly vacation or two, both my wife and I are home most of the time. Still no JWs. My neighbors haven't seen the JWs either. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.

But 40 years ago I was an elder in the Congregation in whose territory I now reside. Back then we used to cover our territory at least once every three months. I left this Cong. in 1973 to serve "where the need was greater," and left my new Cong. in 1984 to quickly fade. So I don't know the current make up of my old Cong. or if they even know I now live in their territory.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

In my area, the congregation is known for it's "Pioneer Spirit" .... what I found is that most of these spend door-to-door time during the hours of the day that very few are home ... then, full car groups drive around during prime time making return visits, hours of driving, minutes of actual visits. The majority of the visits usually belong to one or two of the pioneers, the rest are along for the ride and the time. Usually there are from 4 to 6 in these groups "getting time".

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

Awake! Responds:

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! WE ARE OUT THERE!!

You just dont know what to look for since you lack the direction of the GB. Gone are the days when groups would physically walk from door to door. YUCK......phewee! Who needs that. Now, we mostly drive from door to door. And when we say 'door to door' the doors are to be visited sequencially in this order; Bathroom door at home, front door, car door, KH door, bathroom door, KH door, car door, Starbucks door, bathroom door, Starbucks door, car door, KH door, bathroom door, KH door, car door, front door. As you can see, we are a very busy people. But I digress. Back to the adjusted, correct, upto date understanding of Gods unchanging will that we drive door to door. Its a subtle shift in thinking and I can understand your not descerning this before the Slave so lovingly pointed it out. By whole heartedly adopting this resolution we have been able to expand our collection of membership dues...whoops...I mean 'Donations' from appreciative souls(not souls like a spirit or ghost or something, you know souls like people) from around the world. Shit we own half of freakin Brooklyn NY USA BABABABY UHH. (Oh crap... did I just say that last part outloud??)

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

In the '80s we worked our territories every 2 months. In the 4 years I've lived in my current home I've seen them 3 times, once at my door and twice on the street. I've also had 2 memorial invites stuck in my mailbox.

What's really surprising is that I don't even see them in the donut shops here.

W

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Life sucks when no one is interested in your message

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When I lived in the East Village of Manhattan, I had two incidents with them in 30 years. Both times they were trespassing. I kept my voice law but read the riot act. I asked for the name of the tenant whose guest they were so I could call my neighbor and confirm that they were not soliciting. Where I live now in suburban PA, I had one knock at the door in ten years. Again, I live in a private complex with a sign, indicating it is public property.

I adore mass transit over driving (NY training) so I do see tables set up at bus terminals and train stations. They freak me out. The Witnesses are much older, black women, obviously without much money. Their dress, tho poor in quality, is immaculate. The problem is that all they seem to do is talk to each other.Someone could trash their table before they would notice. Their conversations are so intense it feels as though you need a tank to infiltrate.In my childhood days of going through POrt Authroity bus terminal in NY, they would smile at passerbys and engage in light conversation with strangers.

I wanted to make a comment about how I would have been chastised as a child to not hustle the product. There is admiration for them as individuals and also reuplsion. Rather than get trigerred about my long ago past, I chose to walk on and about my business. Field service seems to be make busy time.

On a very different note, I met a JW woman in the train station here. She was just going about her business. As we waited for the train, she engaged me in neutral conversation. We chatted. Next, the Witness sales bit. I told her politely that I had been a Witness and, while I respected normal Witnesses, I desppised the powers at Bethel. I was a very content Episcoplian but I felt there were many roads to God. Nor would I ever live in their theocracy. My statements were so plain and without rancor. The next day, she sent me a lovely but annoying personal, handwritten letter suggesting that she teach me my Bible. The hubris. Yet she put in authentic effort.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Becaues they're now more creative with how they go witnessing.

Or better yet they get creative with the records they submit. The organization is all about records because they act like an insurance company. The numbers are everything because that's how they guarantee revenue to pay for grapes that are hand fed to the elite. What this does is separates the congregation members into classes. Just like in grade school you want to be in the "popular class." An easy way to accomplish this in the Watchtower world is to inflate your numbers. This is widely common because of how many people are literally trapped behind the walls of the Kingdom Hall. Some of these people are only partially mentally out and their fibbing on their reports is a sure sign of that.

I attest that this is why the Watchtower can report oddly large growth rates considering the massive exodus created by the internet. I believe they know that people are fibbing on reports and they have found a way to account for it in their algorithms. That would also explain why householders are seeing less and less of the door to door work. They are ghost hours.

-Sab

• ozbrad
    ozbrad

Who's to say the numbers aren't fudged right at the top. After all they wouldn't wanna discourage the brothers with numbers going backward..

All religions are struggling these days. I drove past a catholic church the other day after service and ever single person was over

60 years of age. This generation aint buying the fairytale anymore.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I now live in a regional seaside town pop. approx.5000 ,a kh on the outskirts of town,so their would have to be at least 80-100 publishers ? I often drive around town for one reason or another and never see any jw`s in the field,and in the 4+ years we have been here,only 3 times have I been called on.That could have to do with my active neice,who has nothing to do with us, pointing the finger at us.When I was active we used to live in an area that was saturated with jw`s and often times we called on people every 6 to 8 weeks.then have to explain, oh that was the WT sub.today its the book presentation,then next time ,it`s offering a bible study and so on and so on etc.

But I think it`s definetly slackened off

Was it the 1970`s when a series of" A" size brochures, 7 I think were distributed on a wordwide scale ? leading many to think it parralled joshua`s going around the city of jericho to bring on it`s destruction / Har-mageddon ?

Many of us almost ran around the territory distributing these tracts thinking the end was imminent.

smiddy

• zzaphod
    zzaphod

They still get around my neighbourhood every couple of months, however I am on the "Do not call" list, and if they do come to my door there is a polite notice, requesting "No cold callers, etc. with a specific "Jehovah`s Witnesses - DO NOT CALL".

But I must admit, that the last time I had an exchange with them, their arguments seemed rather half hearted. I think they were somewhat shocked that I could tell them of so many of the obvious flaws with their religion.

I think they must hate the Internet, for giving so many people who are interested, such a wealth of information on this cult.

All the best

Paul UK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit