I am speechless over the latest tactic to get people to Pioneer!

by iclone 45 Replies latest jw friends

• iclone
    iclone

Last night I reluctantly attended the meeting. I don't go very often but as you have seen in previous posts, I go occasionally to keep peace with my wife. Last night this elder hands me two Auxiliary Pioneer Forms with mine and my wife’s name filled in already. (BTW the app was preprinted with a laser printer so they put allot of thought into this scam) I asked him, "What is this?" He replied that because so many pioneered last year that the BOE decided to make it easier by filling them in for everyone and whoever wants to pioneer can just sign it, we are anxious to read off as many names as we can during the Service Meeting tonight. (BARF)

I handed the forms back to him without saying a word. He just stood there with a stunned look on his face. During the meeting I was brewing in anger, my wife did manage to calm me down and talked me out of leaving. I am glad I did stay as you will see.

After the meeting he apologized if he offended me in any way. I told him that there is far too much emphasis on getting people to put in their; what I call “T HE DIRTY THIRTY” no matter what! (he actually chuckled) I then quoted 2 Cor 9:7 in part where it says that each of us would do what is in our heart not..., then I said "should I finish the scripture or should you?" He just looked puzzled. I then continued...”not grudgingly or under compulsion, this method you guys are using is absolutely disgusting; talk about a cheesy ploy to get the publishers to sign this form…shame on you guys. What is this, some sort of contest between other congregations?”

He did agree with me that I made some good points and that perhaps they were too hasty and thanked me for my candor. He is one of the more humble elders that I got along with very well when I served. I wonder if this was concocted by the BOE or if this is a directive from the branch or maybe an overzealous CO? In any event I found the whole thing absolutely shameless!

• cofty
    cofty

Disgraceful! Well done for having your say.

Must be a CO visit due soon!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Haven't heard of that technique in my area! That's a hell of a lot of pressure to put on some people, especially those working full time.

If your feeling evil, you might point them to last years annual report, which show a big increase in hours but a large decrease in baptisms. Imply that their "methods" might not be working too well!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

decided to make it easier by filling them in for everyone and whoever wants to pioneer can just sign it

Just re-read that and started laughing out loud at their excuse. Make it easier? Because writing your name is so difficult, right?

Definitely an arm-twisting plot in your congo. Glad you set him straight.

• Ding
    Ding

What did your wife think of the tactic?

Maybe it will open her eyes to what the organization is really like.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

iclone

You stated: '' I don't go very often"

How can they ask you to Auxiliary Pioneer if you miss meetings? I always thought that meeting attendance was one of the prerequisites!

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Iclone, you beat me to it. I was gonna do a thread on this either later tonight or early tommorrow morning. Getting ready to attend the meeting right now and we'll have that same part tonight. The pressure is definately gonna be on for some folks, especially after they read the list of all the ones who've signed up, and for certain people if their name isn't read off, it could bring some unwanted attention their way.

By the way, perfect application of 2 Cor 9:7. To be fair, the WT last year in one of the KMs stated that they're not trying to pressure people and that people shouldn't view their encouragement within the literature as such, but rather view it as people cheering from the sidelines. How genuine that was supposed to be, I'll leave it up to you. Me personally though, as I've said in the past, and in harmony with a former classic poster's name, this whole Dirty Thirty Hour initiative...........Its a Cull without the T.

One last thing, the fact that someone can be an auxilliary pioneer for one special month of the year and only have get 60% of the required hours to typically qualify for auxilliary pioneering, shows just how trivial pioneering is. For one thing, it's going beyond what's written as we don't know how much time Jesus, Paul, Peter, Barnabus, or anybody else spent preaching. To have some religious book publishing company on steroids pressuring people to strive towards some imaginary bar, is going beyond even beyond what's written.

• iclone
    iclone

Rules and Regulations...my thoughts exactly, I am not exemplary by any means. I guess once it is signed it goes to the Service Committee Tribunal and they decide if your name is worthy to be read from the coveted platform.

Ding…my wife said it was complete BS! She is slowly seeing the organization for what it is, like I said before her entire social circle revolves around the congregation but things are definitely improving. Slow and steady.

NRFG…I agree with you man. BTW I did discuss my report or lack thereof with our SO as he was puzzled over my lack of activity and went on a rant about reports, going as far as saying the bible set a precedent for compiling reports. I told him the only record reported in the bible was the number of individuals baptized! Show me anywhere in the bible in any translation where the emphasis was on the hours, rv’s etc. not to mention recording placements of literature all the forgoing is the emphasis of the WT not the number of individuals baptised. I also asked him why the WT does not put in print the number of individuals DF’d , because if they are going to include everything else this would also be a relevant statistic. Have you ever read a financial statement where the business losses or write offs were excluded? I think not!

• rebel8
    rebel8

I always thought that meeting attendance was one of the prerequisites!

In my case, field service was not a prerequisite of being a regular pioneer. lol

They just put and kept me on the books so they could say they had a reg pio. I never made the 90 hours requirement, not once IIRC.

• iclone
    iclone

It is also worth mentioning that although my wife has consistently pioneered in years past including last year, she is NOT going to pioneer this year! On the drive home from the meeting as we were discussing my conversation with this elder and their tactics and she just came out and said she is not going to pioneer. You have no idea how happy that made me when she uttered those words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit