Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses to Escape Judgment for Crimes Against the Children?

by 3Mozzies 63 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

does this outcome mean that jehovahs witnesses are not contravening WWC legislation?

• cedars
    cedars
    does this outcome mean that jehovahs witnesses are not contravening WWC legislation?

Here we go...

soft+gentle, not that you really care (because you're just out to undermine the efforts of those who oppose the Society), but it isn't an "outcome" yet, it's just on the cards. Also, just because the prosecutor is reluctant to pursue it, doesn't mean jehovah's witnesses haven't contravened the legislation. It just means the prosecutor can't be bothered for whatever reason.

It might be worth reading up on the details of the case before making that sort of statement.

Cedars

• soft+gentle
  • soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

compatibilty mode is now on!

cedars I don't need your help and I don't need your spin thanks.

my qestion is an honest one. has anyone written in to put the question in the form I have asked it, to the prosecutor. If no one has I might do so myself

• cedars
    cedars

soft+gentle - by all means go ahead. Nobody is stopping you.

Cedars

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Here is the latest from Mr. Unthank. Unfortunately, the case has been dropped by John Chapman.

Link

by Steven Unthank

February 21, 2012

Victoria, AUSTRALIA

I went to court today to defend and protect the children within the religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses. All I carried in my hand were two books, the Holy Bible and a copy of the Working with Children Act 2005. These I placed on the bar table as I took my seat before the Magistrate. There was nothing else I could do. The prosecuting of these 5 separate criminal cases and 35 individual charges had been taken off me.

I left court today after having failed to defend and protect the children within the religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I carried in my hand only one book.

I apologize to the children for failing to defend them and for failing to protect them. Please forgive me. I tried my best, God knows I tried my best.

Steven Unthank

former Acting Prosecutor

The above pencil drawing is an image of a young child in the Traralgon Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses that was recently raped by a fellow member of the church. Part of her rape included the insertion of Lego blocks into her vagina. This innocent child then went on to be abused yet again by the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Body of Elders within the Traralgon Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses when they refused to comply with mandatory child protection laws for “religious organisations” and for “ministers of religion” as legislated in the Working with Children Act 2005.

Following the rapes and abuse the religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses turned it’s back on this child and her family, as well as the other abused children, and then actively hindered, opposed and condemned any execution of justice by aiding and shielding the lawbreakers.

The Director of Public Prosecutions, Mr John Champion SC, after extensive consultation with Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay, declared in court today that the prosecution of those who abused this child, and other children that had also been recently raped or abused within the religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses “is not in the best public interest”. Thereupon the Director of Public Prosecutions discontinued the prosecution. The Magistrate declared in Court that he was powerless to prevent it. The police and the State refused to protect these children and to grant them equal protection of the law.

“Only persons have human rights . . . Corporations do not have human rights . . . Every person is equal before the law and is entitled to the equal protection of the law . . . Families are the fundamental group unit of society and are entitled to be protected by society and the State . . . Every child has the right, without discrimination, to such protection as is in his or her best interests and is needed by him or her by reason of being a child.” – Victorian Charter of Human Rights.

“The main purpose of this Act is to assist in protecting children from sexual or physical harm by ensuring that people who work with, or care for, them have their suitability to do so checked by a government body.” – Section 1(1) Working with Children Act 2005, Victoria, Australia.

“It is encouraging to know that child abuse is now acknowledged as a worldwide problem . . . some countries . . . are even setting up a register of known pedophiles, restricting their easy access to children. Then there are those who seek a better life for children by passing legislation to protect them . . . While we all no doubt applaud such efforts to rid society of child abuse, we must be realistic and acknowledge that child abuse has very deep roots in human society. It would be naive to think that a simple solution such as legislation will provide complete protection for our children. Many laws have already been passed, and yet the problem persists. It is really an indictment of the world’s delinquent adults that the natural right to childhood has to be protected by a vast array of laws. Laws are not the ultimate protection for children . . . governments, pushed to the limits by economic constraints, are not doing enough to stop the exploitation of their children . . . Think of the heartbreak of parents who have discovered, too late, that their children have been abused by trusted clergymen, teachers, or even close family members. It would be good for you as a parent to ask yourself, ‘Does my church tolerate or cover up child abuse? Is my religion holding firmly to high moral principles?’ Answers to such questions could help you to make wise choices in protecting your children.” - Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses, Awake! magazine, April 8, 1999.

• cedars
    cedars

Absolutely gutted.

Cedars

• nugget
    nugget

Is it possible that the media can take this on where the justice sytem has failed. People need to be aware that this religion is not a safe place for children since it cannot protect it's own and takes no responsibility for abuse that happens. I cannot understand why no action is being taken since the prosecutor does not appear to be denying that the events occurred only that they are worthy of prosecution. I am so sorry that this has happened.

• nugget
    nugget

I emailed it is a tragedy that the case was dropped.

Dear Sir,

I was greatly saddened to read that the case originally brought to the court's attention by Mr Unthank has been dropped. I am a survivor of sexual abuse and know how damaging the practices of the witnesses can be. The protection of their reputation at the expense of the individuals within the congregation is a common occurrence and leads to decades of pain and guilt for victims who are made to feel that it was their failings that led to the abuse. What is worse is that there were laws in place specifically designed to protect children and yet they were ignored. The fact that they are now agreeing to comply with the law does not negate the fact that they have refused to do so in the past. Sadly neither does it help those children who have been abused.

I appreciate that you work within very tight limits and make judgements based on very strict criteria but this decision will have implications far beyond whether the case is heard or not. Witnesses will see this as a sign that God is protecting them and they have done nothing wrong. Abusers will continue to abuse and victims will be confused. The public will be misled into thinking that the congregations are safe places for their children when they are not. If the victims had the courage to go to court and testify it is a shame that your courage failed you when they needed you most.

Yours respectfully

• sf
    sf

https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/senator-xenophon-questions-fair-work-ombudsman.77415/

http://www.reasonaustralia.org/news/articles/347-catholic-sex-abuse-inquiry-on-hold-

http://www.reasonaustralia.org/news/articles/234-xenophon-threatens-to-name-abuse-priest

((Senator Xenophon claimed in Parliament last night that Monsignor Cappo has failed to investigate allegations of sexual abuse in the South Australian Catholic Church in a timely manner. And he says if one of the priests who was allegedly involved in the sexual abuse is not relieved of his duties by noon today, he will name him in the Senate))

sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit