As a JW, did you eat at any religious restaurant?

by Iamallcool 49 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Religious considerations never got in the way of money when the WTS would buy churches to convert into KHs.

• FaithfulBrother
    FaithfulBrother

Actually according to my sources Chick Fil A products do not actually contain chicken but human baby meat which goes against the bible's teaching not to sacrifice your children to Molech.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Sounds kinda smurfish to me

• laverite
    laverite

I haven't ever heard of a religious restaurant.

• talesin
    talesin

We have a vegan restaurant here. It is run by Buddhists, and the profits go, in part, to the temple. There are various items in the restaurant, such as a Buddha statue, and other scrolls and stuff.

This may be the kind of place that the OP refers to. I don't know if JWs could eat there, but I have yet to meet/hear of a vegan JW.

t

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Not exactly a restaurant.....but it is not unknown for Churches to run coffee and tea shops, staffed by volunteers and profits to the Church (that is the crucial thing)...No!..Self respecting dubs who value their congregation status do not go in them.

A charity shop or stall in aid of the church would not be acceptable either. However a private restaurant that just served kosher or halal food would be acceptable to most . At least the meat is blood-free, they say

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

There's a restaurant in my hometown that is named Saint ________'s. It has a Catholic monk prominently displayed everywhere...menu's, uniforms, etc. I've seen so many dubs eating there (and drinking), it isn't funny. Seems they had no problem with it.

Chinese/Asian restaurants usually have prominently displayed shrines and other religious totems, along with the fortune cookies and placemats...Never saw a dub turn down an eggroll.

Indian restaurants usually have some sort of Hindi decorations...Ganesh, Vishnu, etc. No issues eating there, either.

One coffee shop had scriptures and crosses printed on their cups...It was known they were Born Again. I know many JW's who had no issue getting their coffee and donuts while out in Feild Circus.

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, BB,,, good point.

t

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Chick-Fil-A is a popular chicken chain here in the States, and the owner I believe has a Penacostal background. Occasionally when I stop in there, there will be Gospel music playing in the background. I remember the first time I stepped into one, and sat down to read the newspaper I couldn't help but notice some singing in the background about Jesus. Some people actually refer to their food as, "Jesus Chicken." Regardless, they've got some good chicken strips, and their vanilla milkshake is serious business. Oh, and they're also closed on Sundays which is probably related to the owner's Christian background.

We've got a church across the street from where I work at, that has awesome fish sandwiches on Friday during lunch hours. I know this only from word of mouth, as the JW thing has me leary about entering a church to purchase a fish sandwich. I know it's silly but I have this hangup in the back of my mind that Jehovah is gonna be pissed at me for getting a fish sandwich from this church. Again I acknowledge the stupidity of thinking that way, but it's not an easy thing to shed this JW upbringing.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Oh go on, get that fish sandwich. You won't melt on the threshold.

I shed that feeling about entering churches when my father took a contract to clean some church offices (I had to go along and help). It's just a building.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit