As a JW, did you eat at any religious restaurant?

by Iamallcool 49 Replies latest jw friends

• life is to short
    life is to short

Where I live we were not allowed to go to Albertson's grocery store when I was in my early 20's because rummer had it Joe Albertson was a Mormon. I have no idea if it was true but the reason given for avoiding the store was that Mormon's tithe and so ten percent of what we paid for our food would go to the church and we just could not do that. It was so crazy and stupid to me. The store had really good prices and I was young and on my own and needed to spend my money wisely so I would seek in hoping no one from my hall saw me.

Now it seems to be OK to go there.

LITS

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I practically lived in the Second Avenue Deli in Manhattan, which was located on Second Avenue, a few blocks from home. The East Village's remaining character is small Slavic restaurants with pierogies, etc. from church groups. I have eaten at Ukrainian and POllish festivals.

I ate an Indian Krishna restaurants in Ithaca, NY. The food was abysmal.

The Second Avenue Deli is the best deli in all of NYC. It is better than the Stage, the Carnegie, Katz, and Junior's. Jews don't proslyetise. The deli owner was murdered during a bank deposit run. The family relocated to Carnegie Hill but it is still called the Second Avenue Deli. The food is worth hours of driving.

Also, there is semi famous place called The Ukrainian National Home. It is packed.

These restaurants just happen to have religoius owners. There are many Mennonite restaurant owners here. The food is deplorable. Certain nationalities have better food than others. I love Italian and French. Some Britsh food.

What if the restaurant you frequent is owned by religoius people and you don't know. Maybe some secret antiWitness prayers are said over the food. You would never know.

Oh, St. Bart's in Manhattan, a large forward society church, had a cafe on its premises. It was a very popular brunch/lunch destination. Awesome food.

• FaithfulBrother
    FaithfulBrother

1 Corinthians 8

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Explain...

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I was a pioneer. All I could afford was the golden arches - a religious community if ever I saw one!

• FaithfulBrother
    FaithfulBrother

Explain

Well it's very simple. We as Jehovah's Faithful Servants would never willingly partake of food sacrificed to idols. So since Chick Fil A takes Sunday's off to sacrifice their chickens on Sundays which is not really the sabbath but a pagan sun worshipping day we would not eat there as True Christians.

• FaithfulBrother
    FaithfulBrother

This goes along with the reason True Christians do not celebrate birthdays.

• Iamallcool
  • tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I think FaithfulBrother is referring to the discussion Paul was having regarding the eating of food sacrificed to idols...and that eating it was not wrong, in and of itself. What was wrong was if it stumbled your brother...

With that being said, I guess JW's didn't worry too much about eating the sacrificed burgers of In n' Out!

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I think FaithfulBrother has nailed the essence of Paul's words at 1 Corinthians 8!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit