Did field service ever scare any one.

by life is to short 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• life is to short
    life is to short

Aslo because that dog was small I was bitten by big dogs also one wound would not heal for over six months and I could not afford to go to the doctor because I was pioneering and had no money.

LITS

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

... It scares the hell out of the members of the GB - it has been eternity since any one of them has been out in field service.

(Touched up images in their magazines don't qualify).

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

wow - shocking all shocking

I had the luxury of mostly working nice UK territory so no guns or real danger, only the self imposed fear of seeing someone from school or later on work. At the fs group I would be very quick to get sight of the maps and pick something that avoided certain streets -and aim for something as tucked away as possible. It may seem feeble in comparison to most of these other experiences but for me at times it was a huge issue.

mmxiv

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

I think I missed the Point of this Thread.....

I wish My Lame Ass Comment Was...................

• cult classic
    cult classic

LITS - I know. It is all so clearly crazy and wrong now. I totally agree with you that writing about it and sharing the experiences helps so much.

Here's to our making it out alive.

• myusername
    myusername

Someone in this thread said he hit a rottweiler in the face for growling.

I just want to discourage anyone from doing this. Most dogs will growl when a stranger comes onto their property. Growling is a warning. It's not an attack. As a young teen I often went door to door with another young teen and she was scared of dogs. We encountered dogs that would growl. They are simply telling you to leave their property. We always walked slowly off of their property and didn't go to the extreme reaction of physical violence against a dog.

• life is to short
    life is to short

myusername
    I totally agree with you that when a dog is growling just back away and everything will be fine. But I was never and mean NEVER allowed to do that. We had to go to every door. If they had a mean dog I was told that was what book bags were for.

I know it sounds totally crazy to do that. I would sometimes beg to just write down the address and send a letter but it was the country and I was told everyone has a dog that growls if we stopped going because of that we would never be able to work the territory.

Thus I was bite six times and told I did not have enough faith.

I used to hate dogs and be so afraid of them. Now that I am not forced to confront them and now that I can give them respect and their space dogs never try to attack or bite me and I have even started to really like them.

LITS

• myusername
    myusername

@life is to short: When a dog experiences being hit by a stranger after growling, I think the dog will be more likely to bite the next stranger who comes to the property.

Although people probably already know this, I just want to let people know in general that: certain breeds are often stereotyped for being agressive. The breed that is targeted changes over time. When I was young it was dobermans. Then, rottweilers. Now, it's pitbulls. All of these dogs have to be trained to want to attack. They're trained by violent humans who make them endure a lot of physical abuse and purposely teach them to attack.

Sorry I derailed the thread a little with these posts. I was just reminded of the sterotyping issue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit