Brought tears of sorrow to my eyes

by NVR2L8 10 Replies latest jw friends

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Two nights ago it was meeting night for the "believing" members of my familly. My wife who is usually the most regular at attending meetings decided to stay home because she wasn't feeling well. My unbaptized son and his active wife weren't going either. Then my 7 year old grand daughter came downstairs wearing her meeting clothes insisting to go to the meeting! When her mom said they weren't going she started crying...and so did I inside. For the first time I realized that the cult is slowing taking over her life even if her parents aren't really doing much in "the truth". A while ago my grand daughter asked me why I wasn't going to the KHall with them...but before I had time to answer her mother told her not to ask. This subject is taboo and except for my son any religious talk is banned from our conversations. But at one point I will have to say something to wake them up from their sleep.

• N.drew
    N.drew

That is sad. Your cute granddaughter probably gets a lot of attention at the meeting. Also she in not baptised so they love bomb her. What little girl doesn't like that?

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I'm sorry to hear this!!!! That would have broken my heart to see!

• sacdfan
    sacdfan

It's true that they also hate to miss out on their 'friends' - they are pretty insecure at that age and want to be there to cement the friendships they have there. They can be left out and feel 'out of it' if they miss meetings - and they desperately want to be there to ensure they are still in with the in crowd - that's the way it was with my kids.

sacdfan

• Gayle
    Gayle

Your granddaughter is still young. Hopefully in very discreet undefining ways (not directly any JW subject) you can open her mind and heart to a balance for her. Maybe like real life stories or inspirational experiences of goodness of non-JWs. Does she go to public school? You can praise her how smart she is and that she is smart to be anything she wants to be, a nurse, or anything that would spark her interest.

Helping her to real 'child' activities that are fun and interesting. The JW world wants children to always act like adults, or JW adults anyway.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Thanks, N.drew and Found Sheep.

sacdfan: The problem lies in the fact that the friendships they entertain are limited to the kids in the congregation...isolated from all others. I understand that she doesn't miss the "boring" meeting...still this is how kids grow up to be captives of the cult with little chance to figure it out before it becomes painful to leave, finding themselves alone and unprepared for a life on the "outside". It took me 50 years to figure it out! Only today can I realize that the world we live in is wonderful and that there are good people all around. I surely don't want my grand children to wait that long to fully embrace what can be a normal and fulfilling life.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Thks for your comment Gayle. I do spend a lot of time playing and talking with both of them. My son says he never expected that I would grow so close to his children...I guess he based his expectations on the fact that when he was growing up I was very busy earning a living in jobs fitting my poor academics and being a good JW - leaving little time for me to be with my children other than meetings, family study and service...now I use my leasure time as I see fit and much of it is spent with my family. I sense that my son and his wife are not convinced JWs by the fact they are planning to start a business...built their own house...their long term goals are an indication that they don't truly believe the end is close. When time comes I will help them set long term goals for their kids' education...and I can fund some of it too.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I call B.S. on the Mother telling the little girl not to ask you questions about why you do not got to meetings !!!! Bothers ME big time ! It obviously is something she is wondering about, possibly worried about ,she hears adults talking about you when you are not around and she deserves to hear from YOU the real reasons . Please take the time to privately speak with her and find out her concerns ,ask her what she thinks .

When I was little my Mom was a Witness my Dad was not . I was not allowed to discuss Witness business in front of him (in fear it might make him mad ). It did a LOT of damage to our relationship . I grew up thinking I could not go to him for anything important ,he was basically someone not to be trusted . Meetings reinforced those thoughts !

PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN IN YOUR FAMILY !!!

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Troubled mind: I get what you are saying. I am in the opposite situation - everytime I attempt to discuss JW business with my wife she gets mad and she doesn't want to hear it...which is the typical JW reaction. My son is unbaptized and I had some discussions with him...but not with his wife who recently got baptized...this indicated to me that I have to use caution. I dont want to DA or be DF and I have not yet been vilified, so I can enjoy a "quasi-normal" relationship with my JW family. It looks like both my wife and son have realized what would happen if they told anyone the real reasons why I no longer go to the KHall...I'm not sure my seven year old grand daughter is ready to hear the true reasons of my absentism from the hall and understand the impact it would have if she shared this with others...

• winewine211
    winewine211

I'm sorry for that. Good for u.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit