Should marijuana be considered a disfellowshipping offense?

by Celestial 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Celestial
    Celestial

Should marijuana be considered a disfellowshipping offense? There's plenty of evidence that tobacco has cancer causing agents and can thus be deemed a “defilement of the flesh.”

Therefore, since we have these promises, beloved ones, let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in God’s fear. 2 Corinthians 7:1

This is not so of marijuana. Recent scientific studies show that marijuana in no way adversely effects the lungs, mind or body.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/07/19/study-marijuana-not-linked-with-long-term-cognitive-impairment/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57356379-10391704/is-smoking-marijuana-bad-for-your-lungs/

The truth of the matter is hydrocodone (a synthetic opioid) is not a disfellowshipping offense. So, I went to a pill mill and got a bottle of Vicodin a few weeks ago and went through the whole bottle with a clean conscience. I wouldn't buy anymore because it's unforgiving if you get addicted to the stuff. Marijuana doesn't have the addicting properties that opiate based painkillers have.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

It isn't as long as you have a prescription and don't smoke it.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

That was the word I received recently. Prescription and no smoking means they can't touch you

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

God created it. He pronounced all of his creation good. How presumptous and arrogant we are to say His creation isn't good.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

That was the word I received recently. Prescription and no smoking means they can't touch you.

Question?

Why would the rule of not smoking it be an issue if it's prescribed that way? There are plenty of other drugs, that when administered are known to potentially cause side effects, yet the benefits of the drug are thought to outway the potential harm. Chemo kills good cells along with cancer cells and definitely weakens the immune system, but it's better than not treating the cancer. Way too numerous other similar examples in pharmacy. So why if you are PRESCRIBED MJ would it matter how you administered it (under a doctor's direction) after making a personal decision about weighing out the risks?

Makes no sense.

DOC

• baltar447
    baltar447

A good friend of a fellow faded friend of ours was DF'd for LEGALLY owning a growing operation.

• Celestial
    Celestial

"That was the word I received recently. Prescription and no smoking means they can't touch you"

I guess all I need is a herbal vaporizer and a prescription.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Baltar unfortunately, since they can make up or change the rules at any given time, they really can DF u for just about anything so I do believe they df'd your friend for owning a LEGAL business.

I knew someone DF'd for something they did BEFORE they were baptized. Their reason? His attitude, because he didn't feel bad about it

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I see no reason why they can bar medicinal marijuana. It is Caesar's rule. A medical doctor certified it for a valid health reason. Of course, I have not been a Witness in decades. Let the elders suffer what marijuana relieves. It will be a personal choice.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

This is not so of marijuana. Recent scientific studies show that marijuana in no way adversely effects the lungs, mind or body.

Not so fast there, recent health studies are showing mental health problems with some users.

Marijuana and Mental Health

A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia. Some of these studies have shown age at first use to be an important risk factor, where early use is a marker of increased vulnerability to later problems. However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence.

Chronic marijuana use, especially in a very young person, may also be a marker of risk for mental illnesses - including addiction - stemming from genetic or environmental vulnerabilities, such as early exposure to stress or violence. Currently, the strongest evidence links marijuana use and schizophrenia and/or related disorders. 4 High doses of marijuana can produce an acute psychotic reaction; in addition, use of the drug may trigger the onset or relapse of schizophrenia in vulnerable individuals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit