Was Your Experience As A Jehovah's Witness Good In Any Way?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I was raised as a Witness. I could've been raised as a Catholic but my mother's side of the family came into "The Truth" when i was an infant. I do believe that because of my upbringing, I was a more honest person. I was a very responsible young man and viewed by Witnesses and non Witnesses as a " good" person.

I totally disagree with most of their understanding of the Bible, it's prophecies,etc. I believe the Organization has become more Pharisee like than ever. I even think that the religion is pretty dumb.

Still, I think (and my dear 85 year old mother agrees) that my religious upbringing made me the "good" person that I am today.

i'd like your thoughts on this, please.

• undercover
    undercover

You could've been raised Catholic and been just as "good" a person, if not better. There's good and bad in all religions. You just happened to be one of the good people... as far as we know you

• N.drew
    N.drew

Still, I think (and my dear 85 year old mother agrees) that my religious upbringing made me the "good" person that I am today.

I agree minimus. The religion can make someone a better person more so than other religions like undercover said. The reason why I think is it teaches people to view themselves inside and also recommends people to consider that what we do and say can have a positive or negative effect on other people.

I compare it to Buddhist, but add God. If they had added God along with Christ (instead of making themselves the christ) it might have worked wonders.

The way it is I believe they work more evil than good. But for me, I would not have given up the experience, if I had a conscious choice ,because I understand much more than before.

• its_me!
    its_me!

Agreeing with Undercover on this one. People are individuals, and no matter the raising, there are good and bad in every family, religion, ethnicity, nation, etc. You are probably a good person just because that is you!

• cedars
    cedars

Minimus, this is a worthy topic, and I've pondered along similar lines myself many times. I guess you will never really know how you would have turned out WITHOUT the JW influence in your early life, because that never happened. Sure, many non-Witness teenagers may be delinquents or rebels, but then there are likely an equal number who are nice, decent and law-abiding. They managed to turn out that way without a JW-upbringing, so who's to say you couldn't have?

Cedars

• minimus
    minimus

I see both sides. But I do think specifically, my parental (mom) influence made me a better person. I personally know of many JWs that REALLY were "bad" before they were JWs and they became humble, less prone to violence, nicer persons, all the way around.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Before I was a Jehovah's Witness I had no anchor. I think that being Jehovah's Witness did not make me more humble, less prone to violence or nicer but it made me think about the future. So when I think about the future and how I affect other people, then I remember that what I decide for myself today has an impact on tomorrow. And what I do or don't do can make the future better or worse for myself and the people I love. It seems like that lesson does not need to be learned. And it's true. But everyone does not grow up learning it.

• JeffT
    JeffT

My time as a JW has contributed a ton of material to a novel I'm writing.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Deep down most folk "ignore the loonier aspects of their" particular religion, and take on board the good. I guess this is the struggle between the dual identities Steven Hassan speaks of in his book "Releasing the Bonds" (cult self/identity versus authentic self/identity).

On the surface though most folk go along with "group think" due to peer pressure and fear of the consequences like loss of community and credibility within the group.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/we-should-respect-muslims-not-islam

Submitted by KentMcManigal on May 21, 2009.

"Individuals of every persuasion deserve respect when they earn it; religions do not. I am sure than many Muslims are fine people precisely because they ignore the loonier aspects of their faith, just like the Christians must do in order to be decent people."

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

Being raised a witness I learned to not be afraid of being different and to stand up for what I believe in. I learned to reason on the bible and had exposure to older, wiser adults as a youngster.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit