Getting JWs To Think By Using Their Own Tactics On Them.

by Island Man 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man

I've been thinking that an effective way to expose the idiocy and vacuousness of JWism is to use it right back on them when they come to your door.

Say you're a fader and you've moved to the territory of a different circuit where the JWs there don't know your JW background. When they come knocking at your door, just put on the JW mindset and pretend to yourself that the JWs at the door are not JWs but members of a "false religion."

When they offer you literature, you tell them something JWish like: "Sorry I don't accept literature of other religions. I don't believe in interfaith."

When the JW says it's all based on the bible you say: "Well, I know for a fact that my religion is based on the bible and I have the truth, and since Ephesians 4 says there is only one faith . . . your religion can't also be the truth and so I can't accept your religion's literature which contains false religious lies -- no offense."

Let's say you tell them you're a Catholic and they start mentioning the Catholic pedophile scandal that was prominent in the news a few years ago. You respond by saying: "These are just satanic lies by our opposers. You can't believe everything you hear in the media."

If they point out the unscriptural catholic teaching of purgatory you just tell them that catholics no longer believe that -- that the light of truth gets brighter with time just as Proverbs 4:18 says and so even if there might be some errors in current catholic teaching, God will refine the understanding of the church in time and so you will not be disloyal to God's catholic organization by leaving the religion just because of the errors of imperfect men of the past."

If you say you're a catholic and one of the JWs at your door say they used to be a catholic, you can say: "You're an apostate! I don't want to hear anything you have to say! You're only here to draw me away from serving God as part of his earthly Catholic organization!"

By now you get the drift. When you use JW reasoning to counter JWs efforts to preach to you, you either force the JWs to confront the idiocy of their own reasoning (if the particular JWs at the door are smart enough to see the similarity) or you force them to argue against their own reasoning in an effort to try to reach you. It's a lose-lose situation for them.

• LosingMyReligion
    LosingMyReligion

This sounds like a lot of fun! I actually think it might work, in the sense that it might get some of them to think a little. Especially the part about apostacy couldbe a home-run. Imagine if everyone should treat people who change religion like the witnesses do? If you are able to pull it of in a nice, non "better-then-you" way then they will absorb it and recognise your pattern of thought. I remember when I was pioneering I would always be fascinated whenever I met someone with real Bible knowledge in the door-to-door ministry who could show me something in the Bible instead of the other way around.

• Oogie
    Oogie
    Liking for the genius aspect...
  • Ding
    Ding

Very good!

Funny too.

You could also add an out of context quotation into the mix by saying, "Why should I listen to someone who disobeys the Bible by going door to door? Haven't you ever read Luke 10:7: 'Do not keep transferring from house to house.'"

• steve2
    steve2

You credit JWs with the ability to dispassionately weigh up the householder's answers. Good luck!

It might work if the JW has a reasonable level of flexibility in their thinking. Unfortunately, they will more than likely view anyone else speaking that way as being "arrogant and closed-minded".

And therein lies the psychological snare: People are usually oblvious to their own "errors" of thinking but notice those same "errors" of thinking in others - either that, or they will judge the same words more harshly when uttered by someone else outside their group. This is what Jesus was quoted as saying when he said, "First take the rafter out of your own eye".

For example, I could imagine JWs reasoning as follows: "Because we actually do have the truth, our reasons for refusing other religion's literature are valid; whereas, because other religions are false, they are closed-minded in refusing our literature".

• blondie
    blondie

Very good...when a jw I saw non-jws use that same tactic. jws encourage them to examine their religion but if a jw did that well they would be an apostate. The WTS says why would you examine another religion if you know your own is the true one.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The JWs I know are impervious to getting the point of reverse psychology, role reversal, or even just sarcasm and irony. That's how they can sit through years of WT studies that skewer the Catholics and never ever apply the same information to themselves.

For instance, I asked a CO once how teaching people they will die at armageddon if they don't become a JW is any different from the Catholic's teaching people they will go to hell ?

His answer: the sound of crickets then....."no we don't"

• steve2
    steve2

Ten words a JW will never utter (or if they do, they are already on the way out) after listening to your use of reverse psychology:

"Goodness! I have never thought of it that way before"

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Funny.

Let us know how it goes.

• scary21
    scary21

Island Man, I just love how your mind works !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit