Do you recall any disputes during the development of the New Song Book?

by Quarterback 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I seem to recall someone mentioning to me that George Benson assisted with some of the work on the new song book.

Then he left the assignment after an argument with the team. Is there any thing that anyone remembers about that one?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Doesn't surprise me. George Benson is too good for the Washtowel Slaveholdery. He might have wanted some music that people could actually [sort of] enjoy, while those in charge wanted total rubbish. Result: The talents that made George Benson famous are now going to languish--hopefully the world can enjoy some good music that the Washtowel doesn't deserve.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

My first and only experience with the new songbook was at the 2010 memorial. I had no clue a new songbook had been released. The opening song of the memorial used to be my favorite song. The new version was horrible.

I get the feeling that the songs were written so that they could be sung faster by having shorter songs. I believe this all has to deal with the cramming of multiple meetings into one night.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

There is an article written one of the brothers (I think the name is something like Kavelin?) who worked on the new songbook on freeminds.org.

Actually I'm a little suspicious of his story---- he said the new songs would be a great improvement over the old ones! Lost a little cred with me there. . .

I don't think he says anything about George benson.

• cedars
    cedars

The new songs are an unmitigated disaster. Far from being easier to sing, many of them are actually more difficult, with melodies that are far too intricate and inpredictable. I'm old enough to remember a fairly smooth transition between the pink songbook and the brown songbook, but the new yellow book has taken ages to get used to.

Good hymns need to strike a good balance between melody and doctrine, but the new songs are clearly doctrinally-driven rather than allowing the musical element to take centre stage. truth_b_known is also correct in observing that shortening the songs to cram in more meeting parts seems to have been a major consideration in the development.

And yes, the memorial song is a monumental flop in comparison with the original. Maybe all of this may subliminally remind JWs that not all changes made by the Society are for the better.

Cedars

• truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

All I know from family is that most of the older witnesses who remember the original old songs still in the book sing the old words as they detest the utter disaster of the new one. I have a copy of it and it seems they wanted to get really sentimental or just make a mockery of the songs.

I remember years ago a brother saying the brown song book wasnt quite up to par thinking they were not good enough, this one makes the rank and file wonder what is going on. As one in brother put it, "if we didn't think Jehovah has removed his spirit from the GB nothing can leave a doubt now"

• baltar447
    baltar447

I agree, I thought that J Hova Hoover had removed his spirit when I heard the new songs. Now I am not even sure they ever had it to begin with.

• DNCall
    DNCall

Breakfast of Champions: I am the "Kavelin" of whom you speak. Although George Benson's singing and guitar playing were included in the vocal album of old songs that was recorded by the Society, but never released, he was never involved in the preparation of the new song book. There were no disagreements during the time he worked with us, but only the pleasure of enjoying his great talent. At the time that I withdrew my services, the quality of what was being worked on was an improvement. When the final product was released, I, like so many of you, was dissappointed.

F.

• baltar447
    baltar447

DNCall, do you have any insights on what happened after you left that caused what was an improvement to be a such a disaster?

• DNCall
    DNCall

A lot of work fell to one person, who is a professional and very talented. Sometimes when you are under pressure to produce a lot of music in a short time, you rely on craft rather than those moments of inspiration that can either happen or not. Listening to the end result, I'm of the opinion that this is the scenario that accounts for the songbook being what it is.

On further thought, after I left it is possible that George Benson was asked to help out, but I don't think it is likely. With all of the unfounded rumors that have centered on him throughout the years, I can't help but be skeptical regarding the subject of this thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit