Did your spirituality improve after confessing to wrongdoing?

by jwfacts 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• mamalove
    mamalove

Most of my knowledge of the confession and JC stuff surrounded the fact that it was not confidential whatsoever. My most recent cong was known for being super loose with the lips and we all knew what people got in trouble for.

I think for some caught up in the org, it can be a release, but those smarter know it is just a man-made rule meant to police things. I know plenty of elders who were going to topless bars at lunchtime, and sleeping with their sister in laws, and nothing ever happened to them, they still gave talks, etc. So Holy Spirit, Moly Lirit!

• peridotgreen
    peridotgreen

No, not at all. Not one little bit.

The elders have nothing to do with my relationship with God and I knew that even as a JW. I didn't feel as though I did anything really wrong as far as the sex, and as far as the smoking, are you kidding? No guilt there.

In retrospect, I know that I wanted to get kicked out. At least then I'd be spared the angst of leaving.

• peridotgreen
    peridotgreen

Hi, smak, I'm glad you're here.

I have often thought the elders get titillated (sp) by hearing stories of sex which is why they didn't get any details on my "fornication". I did, however, tell them all the gory details about my smoking.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

If the confession is voluntary, there is a good chance for spiritual improvement. That can lead to genuine, personal admission of what you have done, why you did it, and a determination to stop doing it.

When the confession is coerced, not only is such an internal personal conversion unlikely, but also it is likely that the target of the interrogators will become hardened against making any meaningful changes in outlook and behavior (other than "Next time, don't get caught", perhaps). Intimidation breeds contempt; respect leads to cooperation. The WT seems to not understand this.

• truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

The whole idea that you feel better spiritually is nothing more than a feeling or response to the guilt they constantly put on you each day that you are the ulitimate sinner in God's eyes.

The whole JC thing is a joke nowhere found in scripture and subject to the whims of men who are taught to punish rather than correct.

No spiritual improvement will happen, it is more mind over matter, that is we control your mind cos you don't matter!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit