I sang "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and felt no guilt.

by compound complex 28 Replies latest forum announcements

• compound complex
    compound complex

Those are all great tunes, Quentin. Thanks for posting them.

Till later,

CoCo

• Quentin
  • ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

That is wonderful. We went to our friend's Christmas concert at school and I started crying because of a song that I always felt guilty for enjoying... but not now.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Shades, for a cool post - no more guilt, no more fear. There's so much beauty in the world and I fully intend to revel in it.

God bless,

CoCo

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There is one drawbook. I sit or stand in amazement at the beauty of the music and the community worshipping. Next, I stop myself and think, I could never do this as a Witness. It must be nice to only know this mode of worship. Next few seconds, I am who I am today and enjoy the scene.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I am who I am today.

Excellent point of view ... what else is there? I never before had thought of an alternative outlook, a genuine world view.

Thanks for sharing, Band.

CoCo

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Another thought. I might feel strange or marvel how a person can change their world view but I doubt few sing with theirs hearts as much as I do. I cherish these times. All I was denied as a child. So I appreciate it enough for several lifetimes.

What is so evil about a community coming together to worship? Especially when the service is normative for that culture. The Witnesses are bizarre with their apostate calling. The entire world calls them apostate and loony. If a theocracy is in the works, let me sing tunes to Christ now and die at the big A. It is much nicer to live in a community asking the same questions than to live forever in WTland.

Seriously, I don't know how to put into words the midnight Christmas service. I always arrive early and read so I have a decent seat for the paegentry. People arrive late, seeking shelter from the winter weather. As the space fills, the vibes are so nice. I love that is not all family or all singles but a mixture. There is something about people gathering in a sacred space in the heart of an impersonal, world city that moves the spirit.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Your declaration above is absolutely beautiful, Band.

I long for the day when I can do as you have done. I would love to attend the church where I was christened as a babe - Episcopalian - but, currently, I am enjoined from doing so.

Blessings to you as you embark upon the path of Christian freedom.

CoCo

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I might not have gone to a church choir, but I have plenty of Christmas songs I downloaded on purpose. While I was a witless, I would feel guilt if, after being exposed to a day of Christmas songs at work, a piece would loop through in my head. Now I simply bring my own, including songs you are not going to hear on the PA system (religious and comedy songs, including Christmas with the Devil which could come up next to something like O Come All Ye Faithful). And no guilt, either.

And more than that. I remember while I was out in field circus in December, I would see Christmas decorations everywhere. I felt that it was bad to even look at them, let alone enjoy them. If I went to a place and there was a Christmas tree lit up, I would have to stay focused on the discussion because, if I got distracted with the tree, that was "worshiping the sun" and would celebrate Christmas. (Yet I often got distracted when the Price is Right or Wheel of Fortune came on.) Now, I am the one that puts them up--often more, and better quality, than what I saw in field circus. Going from not being able to enjoy them to putting them up so I (and others) can enjoy them--and that includes putting angels and other subtle religious hints along with the general beauty of the decorations themselves.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Bonjour CoCo,

I used to visit retail stores for work and during the holiday season I would catch myself singing x-mas songs after a while...it reminded me how I would have loved to join in when the class sang these songs at school. Some of the songs were nearly acceptable...like gingle bells in French is vive le vent...and except for the "bonne année grand-mère" it was a song about winter fun. Last week I watched the Junior Hockey World Championships and I actually sang O'Canada out loud for the first time in my life...it's amazing how I know all the words in English and French...when after 50 years I can't say the same for "Kingdom Melodies"...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit