Social Networking - Dangers

by IMHO 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• IMHO
    IMHO

Can someone enlighten me to the dangers of having 'friends' you don't know?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...OUTLAW

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

If you are talking Facebook, by allowing a "friend", you will be giving them access to any information you have generally available on your social network site to friends. It will also let them see who else is in your network of friends. This could cause you some privacy issues if you have a lot of personal information posted.

LOL Outlaw!!

• IMHO
    IMHO

Don't people know the 'internet' is open to all. Why would people enter personal information they don't want some to know? Why do they think facebook allow 'free' use of the site?

And why would you allow 'friends' you don't know access to your most 'personal information' when they can be restricted with privacy settings?

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Trust me, you would be amazed what people post. To assume people understand the internet is a bit of a leap of faith...why do you think employers search Facebook as part of the vetting process for prospective employees. You'd be shocked at what people post that comes back to haunt them!

• finally awake
    finally awake

There are a lot of people who are naive and don't realize that anything on the internet is permanent and eventually available to anyone who wants to see it. Privacy on the internet is an oxymoron. I would go so far as to say that anyone who was really interested could find my full name, address, and phone number with enough digging. The only really safe policy is to never post anything that you wouldn't want broadcast on the evening news, but that doesn't leave much to talk about.

• IMHO
    IMHO

So in reality it is not dangers of 'social networking' it is dangers of naiveness in people that needs to be addressed.

• finally awake
    finally awake

"Social networking" is a problem itself because it is designed specifically to encourage people to post things that are risky to broadcast willy-nilly. There is a wide range of human behavior that is acceptable or even commendable among certain demographic groups that is equally excoriated among other demographic groups. There is a lot of value in being able to control information - and you just give that away on facebook.

• IMHO
    IMHO

But surely you don't need or have to give that control away. From what's been said surely 'social networking' is not a problem in itself anymore than 'alcohol' is. It's the naive that create the problem.

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

People have lost or not gotten jobs they would have because of what employeers found on facebook. Personally I don't use it, but if I did, I would use my brain before putting up a picture of me smoking weed or doing something else that could bite me in the ass. But lots of people don't think about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit