Some people just "need" religion...

by OneDayillBeFree 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• OneDayillBeFree
    OneDayillBeFree

I heard this from a man at a door this morning...

It was in response to the question, "do you think god has only one true religion?" it was asked by an elder I was with. He did all the talking at the doors. I told him I wanted to see how he witnessed and then at the end I would show him how I did it...(an old trick I use, where one person knocks on each door until they find and talk to someone, then it's the next persons turn, usually consistent, except for the fact that almost no one is awake at 7:30am in the morning making it a one man job, a little chatting in between and you are set)

He supposedly wanted to go out with me in the field to "encourage" me and to try to find out why my hours of regular pioneering service had been dropping so drastically over a short period of time.

Anyway, this man actually opened the door and was surprisongly polite yet he refused our literatrash, said that he was very open to everyone else's beliefs and respected everyones opinions and wished that we did the same without pushing any belief on him. He then began explaining to us how everyone has the right to choose how to live their life, and that most people today are free to believe what they want, yet many people are so messed up in this word that they need someone or something to tell them what to do, and what to believe. He said it works with politics but more strongly with religion.

Also stated that every religious person wants to believe that they have the true religion but that there was no right or wrong religion for its not about being right or wrong, it's about control. He said that he did not believe in god as he was an athiest. The elder was caught off guard. He stuttered for a bit before finding out what to say. He then put his bible away and offered him the magazines again, to which he kindly declined and then looked at me and said, "you look like the smart type... You seem to understand what I'm saying right?". All I got to say was, "it is an interesting thought..." but before I could go any further, the elder quickly cut me off and said "thank you for your time, have a good day" and we left.

It was quite funny as the elder changed his tone and got an angry look in his face and said "don't listen to any of what that man just said! He is nothing more than a wicked apostate! And he is only there to cause doubts on your mind!"

I tried hard not to laugh...

Then I simply said "okay" and then we went to dunking donuts for the rest of the morning.

The elder never spoke of the insident to anyone and told the territory brother to mark it as a "do not visit"

So what do you think? Do some people need religion? Are some people just that ignorant and foolish that they need someone else to draw lines and put rules and laws on their lives apart from what the governments already do?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

"Ask yourself now, Did Christ Jesus, who set our example and told us to follow his example to gain life, join any church organization in his day? No, God does not require us to do that; but he requires us to worship him... We have the Bible to show us the right way. Certainly it is not necessary for a person to become a member of a church to gain everlasting life."Watchtower 1953 Mar 1 p.143

But yes, some people need someone else to tell them what to do. They require guidance because they themselves have no control over themselves or their lives and they hope someone else will.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

told the territory brother to mark it as a "do not visit"

I thought the man was polite. Did he ask to have himself added to the "Do Not Call" list? What if his heart condition were to change? Has Holy Spirit prompted this elder to judge this man and sentence him to death at the very soon to happen Armageddon?

• wobble
    wobble

The Elder's response was typical of JW's generally, if they cannot answer what is offered to them, they run a mile, and they do not want any other JW coming in to contact with someone who may make them look at themselves and their faith in an honest manner.

If they had the "Truth" they would have no such fear, but would rather relish the chance to show that their religion was The One.

The hypocrisy and dishonesty of their actions speaks volumes.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ONE DAY: Yes, the man at the door is correct: some people "need" religion and need to be told what shoe to put on first. This goes hand-in-hand with some people needing power. A smart person at the door was always the fear of many JWs. Then their ignorance and narrow-mindedness would be exposed. So, the JW then needs to run from any confrontation because the flimsy belief system would be exposed and they risk looking like an ass. I am glad you see through it!

• LizLA
    LizLA

I believe that if religion helps people lead better lives then there is nothing wrong with those persons being members of a religion. Jesus Christ belonged to the Jewish religion and attended temple regularly. It is my humble opinion that everyone should constinuously seek the truth that Jesus taught, whether it be in a religious group or in a spiritual group or alone.

• trueblue
    trueblue

Patton Oswalt - Sky Cake - YouTube

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    I believe that if religion helps people lead better lives then there is nothing wrong with those persons being members of a religion. -LizLA

Religion also hurts others, i.e. shunning.

• designs
    designs

When our ancient ancestors were sitting around a communal fire and discussing crops and health and seasons religions began their societal impregnation.

Emile Durkheim's - Elementary Forms Of Religious Life

It is fascinating that xJWs go through and sometimes stay attached to religious beliefs. Having raised two children there is that moment in development when a baby let's go of your hand or and object and walks on their own.

• flipper
    flipper

ONEDAYI"LLBEFREE- What a cool conversation for you to observe and be a part of. Yes, that man is smart. And yes, many people FEEL they need religion , however I feel it's because they turn their minds off and WANT to be intellectually lazy because it's easier to have God, the Bible , or Koran, or some other written rules tell us what to think- so we don't have to do it.

It takes much more effort and research to admit " I don't know everything " and to explore things for ourselves by educating ourselves from within than to feel we need a written code of rules by some alleged " guru " , "priest " , " elder ", " faithful & discreet slave " member who feels they have the " eternal truths " - when in fact they are just as much in the dark as everyone else - but feel the eed to dominate religious members for either power, control, ego, or $$$$$ - or a combination of those things. One reason I'm happily agnostic and will NEVER be a part of ANY religous organization again. I cherish my freedom of movement and my freedom of mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit