The Real Purpose of Shunning Holidays

by metatron 35 Replies latest jw friends

• sharpshooter1946
  • sharpshooter1946
  • nugget
    nugget

My understanding was that these celebrations were originally banned to make the religion newsworthy and increase publicity at a time when the religion was starting to aim for greater growth. These banns meant the organisation would be spoken about and differentiated from the mainstream being seen as more holy than other religions that do celebrate these holidays.

Of course by not taking part in these traditions it also has the added consequence of seperating and isolating the witness from those that do. So for the society it was a win win.

• its_me!
    its_me!

I figure they do it because Holidays are expensive and if the JWs are celebrating them, that is less money for the WTS to get their hands on!

• Mary
    Mary
    What is the real reason for all this zeal against celebrating holidays? It is this: to break up extended family relationships and maintain those broken family ties, as a means of continuing the 'cult' securely.

This would indeed make the most sense since Witnesses were still allowed to celebrate their birthdays up until 1951 I believe. The ban on them came under the direction of Knorr (and no doubt that miserable tosspot Fredrick Franz) who was also responsible for the ban on blood transfusions as well as the implementation of hardcore disfellowshipping which is still in practice today----two of the most devastating doctrinal changes in the history of this cult.

The pathetic excuse that birthdays come "from pagan origin" is absurd as there were also many Jewish and early Christian practices that had it's origins in "paganism" including baptism, embalming and mummification, not to mention biblical characters being given the names of pagan gods.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

If Christmas as a secular tradition is endemically connected to Christianity and there is evidence in the bible that notable subjects such

as John the Baptist celebrated his birthday, as well there is no expressed negativity to celebrating birthdays stated in the bible.

The WTS. has once again flubbed on one their doctrines.

The only thing they have to oppose birthday celebrating is that non-Christain Pagans celebrated birthdays as well.

The WTS. has intensionally tried to divide themselves with other Christian based faiths. Self acknowledging themselves as the true

worshipers, the only organization that god uses to dispel bible truths for all mankind . In this endeavor out comes many of their own

self anointed doctrines. The shunning of birthdays as well as Christmas is just one example of this organization going beyond what is written.

Power can corrupt the ignorant.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Thats one of the problems with religious cults who try to instill into the publics eye, that they are

the only one specifically solemn organization chosen by god.

It makes it very difficult to break away from past teachings and proclaim new light.

Even if a mistake was given, to express that would be too fracturing to their self proposed image.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Now, I celebrate the Holidays with a vengeance and this religion can go to hell.

Ditto!

Great post, Metatron! I've always felt that isolationism was part of the reasoning behind the banning of most family events as well. Those who designed this cult were psychological geniuses, albeit evil subhumans worthy of dying a thousand deaths, each more horrible than the last.

• peace_lily
    peace_lily

I believe Metatron nailed it. From the Bible Teach booklet, p. 159:

"Some agree that such holidays as Christmas have pagan origins but still feel that it is not wrong to celebrate them. After all, most people are not thinking about false worship when they observe holidays. THESE OCCASIONS ALSO GIVE FAMILIES OPPORTUNITIES TO DRAW CLOSE TOGETHER. Is this how you feel? If so, likely it is love of family, not love of false religion, that makes taking a stand for true worship seem difficult. Be assured that Jehovah, the one who originated the family, wants you to have a good relationship with your relatives. (Ephesians 3:14, 15) But you can strengthen such bonds in ways that God approves. Regarding the matter that should be our chief concern, the apostle Paul wrote: 'Keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord.'" (Emphasis mine)

The Watchtower's holiday policy makes quick work of dividing Witnesses from non-Witness family.

BTW, has anyone read the article, "Are They Idolatrous Decorations?" beginning on page 12 of the December 22, 1976 Awake? The article purported to be about the heart symbol, which is claimed to have been used in pagan worship in Babylon. The article's bottom line?

"So the Christian needs to be primarily concerned about what? Not what a certain symbol or design possibly meant thousands of years ago or how it might be thought of on the other side of the world, but what it means now to most people where he lives...Though this was a religious symbol in ancient Babylon, does it now have such a meaning where you live? Most likely not...In that case, some Christians might feel free to use the heart-shape simply as a decorative design." (pp. 14-15)

Too bad they can't use the same logic in relation to Christmas, which encyclopedias say "is theorized" to be associated with ancient pagan customs, with no solid proof. Of course, the article wasn't really about hearts anyway. It was about trying to justify the pagan winged sun disk that graced the covers of the Studies in the Scriptures for many years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit