The Real Purpose of Shunning Holidays

by metatron 35 Replies latest jw friends

• trillaz
    trillaz

Once you guys have bad holiday times and would rather certain family members did not come around during the holidays, you might enjoy not celebrating like me. This is coming from someone who had toys every year from Santa and took a part in all the traditions of men and never knew why.

The JWs don't have a copyright on not celebrating holidays. Ask your local Jew or Muslim.

• metatron
    metatron

Jews and Muslims have their own holidays to keep them away from Gentiles or Infidels. Mormons have Special Underwear to keep them separate. Opus Dei makes you wear this freaky S&M bracelet that cuts into your flesh to remind you of how Holy You Are.

Watchtower logic regarding Thanksgiving is especially weak. Basically just another, 'cause we say so' piece of bullsh*t.

Have you asked yourself, philosophically, "Who am I?" Here's the answer, folks: You are whatever you repeatedly do. That wonderful bit of OCD applies really well to religion.

Oh, and yeah, yeah, yeah..... every deep pro-comedian seems to have a rant about dealing with pain in the neck relatives during the holidays, you know, the loser brother that your parents seemed to like more than you, the loud mouth sister who gives you tinnitus when you sit next to her, the wrinkly aunt that makes some unappetizing dish that everyone has to praise.....

Ya know what? I'll take it. In contrast to my self righteous, distant, 'won't visit you unless it's a f**king funeral' Witness relatives, I'll buy into it, warts and all. Watchtower families TEND TO suck. That's one big reason why kids are leaving or just faking it.

metatron

• Violia
    Violia

In my area we have more than jws who do not celebrate Christmas. The church of Christ in this area don't, and some Pentecostals, the 7th day adventists, etc. That is just the Christian religions we also have a large population of Muslims and Jewish and Asians. Of course many of these do celebrate anyway.

I have noted in this area that very few folks put lights out and decorations anymore. Sad really.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

But you can strengthen such bonds in ways that God approves. Regarding the matter that should be our chief concern, the apostle Paul wrote: 'Keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord.'

The doctrinal stance instituted by the WTS. of not celebrating birthdays, is (un)scriptural from the bible's interpretation.

Going beyond what is written can be clearly identified here.

Just because ancient pagans did so, does not equate that this was unpleasing to god.

The bible does give mention of John the Baptist celebrating his own birthday and there is no mention that this was unpleasing in the eyes of god.

This another case of men self willingly placing the power of god into their own hands, which time and time again results in a human folly

with many adverse reactions.

• finally awake
    finally awake

pagans got married, ate dinner, bathed, had jobs.....there's not much left if you eliminate all the things pagans used to do

• cofty
    cofty

Good thread.

Could somebody tell us more about the comment in the OP about Latina's 15th birthdays?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit