The Real Purpose of Shunning Holidays

by metatron 35 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

The Watchtower endlessly prates on about pagan traditions in popular holidays - while the Bible itself is loaded with subtle pagan religious ideas - such as wicked spirits being cast "into Tartarus" (a pagan Greek place in which the rebels against Zeus got imprisoned) or "sacred secret" - a term the Apostle Paul likes that was adopted from pagan 'mystery' religions.

Then we can throw in the reference to being Divinely 'called Christians' in Acts - which uses a pagan term that refers to demonic Oracles of the day.

Of course, the Watchtower has no objection to accumulating millions of pieces of paper that feature occult symbols (any dollar bill!)

In recent years, for good measure, they have added birthdays and Thanksgiving to the official banned list, despite the sketchiest justification for doing so. If birthdays are wrong simply because they figure in two negative accounts, then it makes much more sense to ban dogs as pets because of all the negativity in the Bible about them!

The Awake is willing to 'look the other way' as to worldly celebrations when it comes to Latinas celebrating their 15th birthday. More converts, more money, and it's only once, right?

What is the real reason for all this zeal against celebrating holidays? It is this: to break up extended family relationships and maintain those broken family ties, as a means of continuing the 'cult' securely.

What is usually the biggest obstacle to a person "coming into the truth"? Very often, it is celebrating holidays, especially Christmas. People quickly understand that they must give up their extended family ties, as a practical matter. In a busy life, these holidays are often the only practical opportunity to visit and eat with relatives - and that is what the Watchtower wants to cut off.

metatron

• baltar447
    baltar447

I think that was a side effect. I think that it served to "brand" the religion and cause them to be even more distinct from mainstream religions. Different for the sake of beign different.

• metatron
    metatron

OK, expand on your thought of being different....... this 'being different' extends to separating Witnesses from their "worldly" extended families. Once you buy into this separation, they've got you.

metatron

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I have come to believe that the anti-Christmas, anti-most other observances came about in the Rutherford years when about half of Bible Students left. Families were split, and the holidays were when the two sides would come together. This Rutherford did not want, so any holiday which would bring the two sides of a family together was eliminated. It was a control move on the part of Rutherford.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Like going door to door, like refusing to salute the flag, like refusing blood transfusions, like other practices "unique to Jehovah's Witnesses": disrespect for holidays is a sign of Watchtower membership, as well as a loyalty test. Those are the real purposes that are never spoken of.

• Bella15
    Bella15

The spirit of anti-Christ operates in that organization ... and I agree with this too:

What is the real reason for all this zeal against celebrating holidays? It is this: to break up extended family relationships and maintain those broken family ties, as a means of continuing the 'cult' securely.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Isolation..

• darthfader
    darthfader

I was about 6 years old when my parents got the Truth®. So I saw first hand how we used to get together with our extended family before and how afterwards even casual contact was limited.

Isolation is the key (I agree with Outlaw). Also I beleive that anything that makes the witnesses stand out is also used like: not blood, no celebrations, no flag salute.

what a waste..

• flipper
    flipper

METATRON- You hit the nail on the head partner. Exactly. Real reason WT society bans Witnesses from celebrating holidays ? Your statement : " To break up extended family relationships and maintain those broken family ties , as a means of continuing the " cult " securely " . No truer words were ever spoken. I've lived this in my exiting the Witnesses 8 years ago and throughout these last 8 years and am once again going through it currently with my own older JW parents as I write this. This organization needs to be brought down like yesterday

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

@OUTLAW I do enjoy your humor. I was wondering if you have a picture of a man sticking his head in the ground like an ostrich? Better yet a man sticking his head in the ground with a Mack truck bearing down on his arse.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit