rec'd a letter in the mail (similar to Shaky Ground's text)

by outsmartthesystem 12 Replies latest jw friends

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

This one was from an elder's wife. She has been quite ill for some time. The sad thing is, I do like her. Very nice woman. But the message was basically "I don't know how much time I have left......but it is my dying wish that you come back to the kingdom hall".

It wasn't chastising letter. But it shows you how witnesses are trained to think. Whether it is trying to make you feel guilty about potentially not seeing your dead relatives in the "new system"........or trying to make you feel guilty about "leaving Jehovah" or trying to make you feel guilty by no giving someone their dying wish..........the message is still the same. "we will stop at nothing to get you back to the KH."

Guilt, manipulation, and deceit are all ok so long as the outcome gets a person back towing the line. What is so maddening is that they truly believe they are doing the right thing. They believe they are saving your life.....and to them.....guilt....trickery or any other measure is ok because of the final outcome (that you'll be in the new system)

• ziddina
    ziddina

That's really sad - on so many different levels...

She actually believes what she is saying... And her life situation is terminal, so there's NO way she could ever 'wake up'...

She's going to cling to that idea of a "Paradise Earth ™ " because it will act like morphine to ease her pain of passing away. But she'll not see such a thing, ever.

In a way, it's a good thing that the dead are unconscious. If every person who ever died with a "paradise earth" or "heavenly" hope, knew about how they'd been cheated, there'd be some furious zombies running around, I can tell you...

Zid

P.S. In a way it's kind of creepy - the concept, that is - a dying woman trying to drag you back into the cult/cancer...

• Londo111
    Londo111

At least, she cares. Sometimes it's the thought that counts.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

It's really sad reading this. Basically she isn't even allowed to die in peace. She apparently is still on the indentured servitude payroll and is working for her wages

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Pull into the parking lot on a non-meeting day, sit there for 5 minutes, and leave. Or perhaps slip a small "anti-witness" tract in the crack of the door. Then leave.

There. You went back to the Kingdom Hall. Wish fulfilled.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Sad, the manipulation a Witness resorts to, but all of us who are/were Witnesses understand where she is coming from ....

perhaps a brief reply something on the order of ...

Dear Elder's Wife,

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I think of you fondly and have cherished memories of our times together. Please don't worry about me, my friend. I too believe that at death our sins are wiped clean, I too have faith in the sacrifice that Jesus' gave in our behalf, whatever "the new system" proves to be, I am confident that we will have the opportunity to be reunited in that blessed environment.

Best Wishes

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

According to her church, if you both die before Armageddon, you will both end up in Paradise, along with Hitler and every dead Pope.

I don't know how to tell her that nicely.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Hate to burst a bubble, but perhaps she is on the "infirmed pioneer" list, and this letter is a way for her to get hours?

Seriously, are you going to write her bacK? "Dear Mrs. X (don't use sister), I received your note and read with sadness that you may be leaving this world. I have always found you to be a warm, caring person. I hope that you find solace and peace in your remaining time with your family, friends, and, of course, in your love for the Bible."

...let her go out in peace and in 'thinking' she may have helped you.

Skeeter

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Black sheep, I don't know what JW lied to you and said Hitler would be in the new order. I questioned my mom about that as a little girl. Unless there has been new light... To the OP, it seems weird that you going back to the hall would be her dying wish. I don't like this whole idea of dying wishes & people actually expecting you to consider fulfilling them. When my exboyfriend's mom died, I was told that her dying wish was that we get back together and get married. So one of the relatives was like, "that was her wish, so are you gonna do it?" I was like, "umm no."

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

serenitynow maybe it was a regional thing - Hitler being in the new order- I grew up being told he would be there. I was told, he deserved a second chance just like anyone else. Really pisses me off now, chose not to believe the way they do, Jehovah has a special death planned for you, and we are going to make you suffer until then, but hitler, he's cool. "goes off to punch a tree"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit