Telephone Hookup if You Can't be Physically Present at the KH

by Band on the Run 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I keep coming upon references dealing with a phone hookup if you must miss a KH meeting. In my day, if you missed, you missed and celebrated the fact. What is the procedure for the hookup? No excuse must exist anymore.

• C6H12O6
    C6H12O6

The hall I went to had telephone hookup.

The telephone hookup phone number is posted on the bulletin board along with the pin number.

You call the number several minutes before the meeting and then enter the pin number (using the phone buttons) when asked.

The number of people on the telephone hookup counts as part of the attendence.

The telephone hookup was meant to be last resort for the homebound, sick, and anybody else who couldn't make to the meeting.

So yeah ... there's pretty much no excuse anymore unless you're lying down unconscious.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Keep in mind that not just anybody can use the phone hook-up. Only the elders, and maybe a couple ministerial servants have the pin number, and the latter have to ask the former whether or not it's acceptable to give that number to someone shut-in. The elders also check the phone records occasionally to see exactly who's listening in and if it jibes with who they've already given the pin number to.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

My last hall had phone hookup. I listened in when I was on the fence. Didn't want to GO to the KH but still thought it was the "truth" It was kinda fun like a fly on the wall. I'd be watching tv on the internet all sorts of things. When you 1st hook up they want you to say your name. I just paused and pressed pound. I didn't want them to know I was listening. I got to hear more then one local needs that I'm quite she were about me. It was a big step when I got rid of the number and deleted from my phone

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Our pin number is available to anyone in the cong so they may listen in if sick. Nobody's made a big deal about it as I've read is the case in other halls.

• sir82
    sir82

NRFG,

Really? you must have one semi-fascist BOE.

In our congregation the PIN is given out willy-nilly. We usually have 10-15 people listening in. No one checks on who is listening on the phone - they just get the count so they can add it to the total meeting attendance.

• seenitall
    seenitall

Many sick ones who can't attend are hooked up. But, if you suffer due to mental distress or just don't like seating with people - good luck getting hooked up. Most of the BOEs will not allow troublemakers, fakers or bad attitudes the access pin. Congs are instructed to change the pin and sometimes the dialup number each year. If it wasn't for the phone hookups the attendence in many congs would be 50% or less of the # of pubs.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

did you all have telephone hookup where the listener could answer?

It was funny you would have to pre-arrange what par you want to answer. There was an older sister that always answered. One sunday when it was her paragraph they switched so they could hear her and she was sleeping and snoring....

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    NRFG,
    Really? you must have one semi-fascist BOE.
    In our congregation the PIN is given out willy-nilly. We usually have 10-15 people listening in. No one checks on who is listening on the phone - they just get the count so they can add it to the total meeting attendance.

It can be, if I were to describe the elder body, I'd say we have two or three liberals, three or four others who are too busy with their own life and congregational responsibilities to be concerned with the phone hook-up, two immature zealots, and a COBOE who goes whichever way the wind blows. One of the immature zealots deals with the phone hook up in a hands on fashion. I want to say that a letter was generated for instructions on telephone hook ups to avoid abuse, and maybe even a Kingdom Ministry article, but I can't recall.

• Open mind
    Open mind

It was a few years ago that phone tie-in rules were laid down. It was very clear that those calling in needed to have medical reasons for not attending.

My wife and I call in now and then, mainly to listen to the announcements.

I have a vision problem: "I just can't see myself going to the K Hall."

She has a digestive disorder: "She just can't stomach the meetings anymore."

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit