2011 Watchtower publisher statistics with analysis

by jwfacts 220 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cedars
    cedars

Hi Wobble, I'm glad you asked that question. Actually there are two "birthdays" for the Governing Body. The Proclaimers Book describes in very ambiguous language how the Governing Body came into existence as an entity in 1944 on page 228:

"Then, in 1944, a service assembly was held in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in connection with the Watch Tower Society’s annual meeting. On September 30, prior to that annual meeting, a series of highly significant talks were given on what the Scriptures say as to the organization of Jehovah’s servants. Attention was focused on the Governing Body. On that occasion it was emphasized that theocratic principle must apply to all the agencies used by the faithful and discreet slave class. It was explained that the legal corporation did not have as members all the “consecrated” people of God. It merely represented them, acting as a legal agency on their behalf. However, inasmuch as the Society was the publishing agent used to provide Jehovah’s Witnesses with literature that contained spiritual enlightenment, the Governing Body was logically and of necessity closely associated with the officers and directors of that legal Society. Were theocratic principles being fully applied in its affairs?"

If you read the paragraphs in question, all references to the Governing Body PRIOR to 1944 are in lower case (i.e. "governing body"), but it s eems to have been formally founded or recognised in '44. Thereafter it is referred to as the "Governing Body" with both upper and lower case. Like I said, the historical narrative is ambiguous to say the least, but that's how I read it.

Obviously in Crisis of Conscience Ray Franz insisted that, prior to the 70s, the Governing Body existed in name only. It was essentially just the Society's board of directors, and all decisions were made by Knorr. He documents quite comprehensively the power struggle that resulted in the office of "President" being rendered virtually meaningless, and the dreaded "two thirds majority" voting system coming into force. You could say that this was the real emergence of the Governing Body, but as an "entity" it began in 1944.

At least that's how I read it. If somebody else could prove otherwise, I would be very interested in this information, as I feel it's crucial to distinguish the many differences between the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" and the "Governing Body" - even though the Society would have us believe they are one and the same thing.

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

I apologise for the formatting on that last post. Damned Watchtower Library references always seem to mess things up.

Cedars

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome WallsofJericho, I liked your comment about your eyes opening.

I use to hear a particular statement uttered by JW's all the time: "Jehovah's Witnesses are the fastest growing religion."

And I would scratch my head and say, "Is that really statistically possible? Every baby born to a Catholic is automatically counted as a Catholic."

Terry - good point. They may have been the fastest growing religion from a percentage point of view, but that doesn't mean much when a group is small. In the late 1960's that growth only amounted to about 100,000 new members a year, far less than for other religions such as Catholics.

• Quendi
    Quendi

An interesting discussion which I am bookmarking for future reference. I have little to add except to say that an objective examination of the history of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society since its incorporation in 1884 would show that its claim of divine sanction and support is utterly false. Its reversals on policy and doctrine show that. Since "God is a God not of disorder but of peace", any organization he supports would show the kind of growth and harmony that would be consistent with this. (1 Corinthians 14:33) That history convinced me to completely withdraw from the organization, its officers and its causes. I don't pretend to have discovered the entire "truth", but I do know I am infinitely better off outside the "spiritual paradise" of Jehovah's Witnesses than I was inside it.

Quendi

• davidl7
    davidl7

JWfacts wrote: " You really are just repeating yourself. I don't agree that there are many people that read the Bible and believe even the core concepts that you listed prior to meeting JWs.

For a start, there are only a couple of hundred thousand baptised each year, probably half of which are children. Most I know knew nothing of Bible doctrine before converting, so they had no formed opinions at all. Research into high control religions show most join at times of emotional turmoil, it has very little to do with the doctrine, other than the promise of a community and nice hope for the future."

Well, I have met many individuals, who prior to becoming Witnesses, came to the same to accept 1 or more fundamentals Bible teachings prior to coming in contact with the Witnesses. Many for instance, based on their reading of the NT, came to the conclusion that Jesus is really the Son of God, and part of the Trinity. Some did come to the conclusion that the soul dies and one must be resurrected in order to be alive again. Of course, they are many others that did not know much about the Bible or were told what to think or believe by their pastors. As I mentioned before, in some cases, some had a published book with "talking points" on what to say to the Witnesses when they came to their door or to speak to them. However, after speaking to the Witnesses, perhaps after numerous times, and carefully considering what the Bible says, they have come to agree with what we teach.

JWfacts wrote " Secondly, it is very difficult to come to those conclusions about God and the Soul without being guided to them by the Watchtower. That is why most religions do not teach them. The NWT has corrupted the New Testament by falsely adding the word Jehovah. Read as written, and as in most Bibles, most people will come to the conclusion that Jesus is God. In fact, even the Watchtower was confused about the topic, since it taught the polytheistic view that Jesus was a god to be worshipped until the 1950's. Likewise the New Testament does not paint a picture of soul sleep, but of heavenly immortality. The WTS is very much an Old Testament religion, and bases itself on many Scriptures that are rightfully considered poetic and not doctrinal. It is very difficult to read the Bible (without Watchtower blinkers) and come to the Watchtower concept of the soul.

You keep saying about all these many people that already knew Watchtower doctrine before reading a Watchtower. I would like you to see if you can really find that many. I am yet to speak to anyone that read the Bible and thought the world would exist forever and be a paradise for man to live on eternally. Or many people that believed the concept that you are totally gone at death, and some distant time in the future God would bring back some photocopier version of you."

Actually, the only way to come to the conclusion that Jesus is God and that the soul never dies is if one is influenced and taught those doctrines by the Trinitarian theolgians. The NT clearly teaches that Jesus is the Son of God and the God the Father is the "one God" and that Jesus has a God. And it says that the souls are asleep until awaken by the resurrection in the age to come and that immortality is a gift from God, and like Adamwe are humans souls that can be destroyed. Bible doctrine from both the OT and NT contradict what is taught is most churches.

I find it surprising to see your comment on what you call our polytheism. The fact is, if one your really familiar with our literature, is the word translated "worship" is from the Greek proskyneuo which can mean to bow dow, adore, or show honor to king. 1 Chronicles 29:20 says that the God's people "worshipped" Jehovah and the king. (ASV, KJV, ERV, Websters) Others version says bowed down, bow low and did homage...etc. So worshipping Jesus, as understood as showing honor and report is not wrong. That is what the Greek word, which appears in the LXX, means. However, as Jason DeBuhn wrote in his book Truth In Translation (Bowing to Bias - Chapter 4), the meaning of the English word worship has changed at times, and it has come to mean the worship that can only be given to God. In order to avoid confusion, that we do not give worship Jesus as God, the Witnesses have decided to use other words the convey what the Greek word really convey, and now the literature mainly states the we honor or bow dow to Jesus in the same way that the Israelites bowed down to the king of Israel. The Reasoning book, after discussing the different shades of the Greek work prokyneuou, thus states: *** rs p. 215 par. 2 Jesus Christ ***

In harmony with that, we must understand that it is pro·sky·ne´o with a particular attitude of heart and mind that should be directed only toward God.

As I mentioned earlier, I do know many, who have read the Bible on their own, without the help of Trinitarian theologians, that have come to the same conclusion as the Witnesses and are now active Witnesses. And even some who have not joined the Witnesses (or have not yet joined), have come to agree with some of the teachings of the Witnesses. The book Christianity Without Fairy Tales by Jim Rigas mentions the Witnesses several times in regards to the Bible teaching regarding the earth converting to a paradise. Jim Rigas, an Episcopalian, correctly mentions that the Witnesses teach that. Interestingly, he includes a footnote on John 1:1 that says the text would be better translated as the "the Word was a god." The book, by Don Cuprti, The Debate About the Christ, which appears to agree with the doctrine that Jesus is really the Son of God and not part of a Trinity, also states that the Jehovah's Witnesses are the closest to teaching the NT truths. It says on page 69 "We may conclude that the Jehovah's Witnesses are the group which is today nearest to New Testament Christianity." So there are some, who have never become Witnesses, but have closesly studied the Bible, have come to agree that Witnesses uphold the Bible truths.

JWfacts wrote " Russell would not agree with you applying Prov 4:18 to the Watchtower Society. He wrote:

"If we were following a man undoubtedly it would be different with us; undoubtedly one human idea would contradict another and that which was light one or two or six years ago would be regarded as darkness now;… But with God there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning, and so it is with truth; any knowledge or light coming from God must be like its author. A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth. "New Light" never extinguishes older "light" but adds to it…" Zion's Watch Tower 1881 February pp.3,188

Watchtower history has not been one of light getting brighter, but flip flops and contradictions, often multiple times on important topics such as the resurrection.

Well, yes, that which is light will never contradict light, but if something was in error, it has to be corrected. Russell also wrote, "We do not object to changing our opinions on any subject, or discarding former applications of prophecy, or any other scripture, when we see a good reason for the change,—in fact, it is important that we should be willing to unlearn errors and mere traditions, as to learn truth.... It is our duty to "prove all things."—by the unerring Word,—"and hold fast to that which is good." (Zion’s Watch Tower and Herald of Christ’s Presence October 1879 (reprint) p.38 “The Ten Virgins). Light will also be light, but it is our understanding of the Bible that keeps getting brighter. We may have taught that Jesus died on a cross, but later on learned that the Greek word for cross really means an upright pole or stake. Does that change the truth of the light that Jesus died for humankind? Does that change the fact the Jesus died for our sins? No it does not. With regard, to resurrection, whether or not one holds that the gays that died at Sodom and Gomorrah may not really be that important. The important thing is the resurrection will happen, and Jehovah God in the end will be the one who will decide who will be resurrected through his Son, Jesus Christ.

• davidl7
    davidl7

Ceders wrote:

Just for the record, you didn't really answer my questions. You claim that the actual name of the site justifies you being here, even though you have been ordered not to contribute at such places. Does that mean you can walk into a strip club if it doesn't actually say "strip club" over the door? I commend your disobedience because you might actually learn something as a result of it, but that excuse was terrible.

On the issue of the Governing Body, you give no scriptural argument to support why a group of men that was formed 25 years after the Slave Class was chosen in 1919 has assumed full control over the administration of the organization on their behalf. You refer to the apostles as being the scriptural precendent, and yet surely you don't need me to point out the difference between the 12 apostles and the governing body? All bar one of the apostles was hand picked by Jesus himself, whereas the Governing Body picks itself. Nobody could deny that. Also, how can they call themselves "representatives" when they have absolutely no communication with the anointed, and don't even know who the anointed are?

Well you would be surprised how many Witnesses stumble upon a site that they considered to be a credentialed JW site, simply because it identifies itself as such, but then it turns out that it is an anti-Witness site. I think I would walkout immediately from a club that turned out to be a strip club...but then again, I don't think a strip club would advertise its business as something else other than a strip club. They are too honest to do that.

I personally see the GB as a counterpart to the 1st century apostles. True, they were not selected directly by Jesus, and their writings are certainly not inspired like the apostles. But Jesus did say in Matt. 25:45, 46 that a faithful and discreet slave would be appointed and it appears that part of the group would be in charge of feeding spiritual food to the domestics, including other anointed and the great crowd. You must know that the NT church founded by Jesus did included a range of different types of teachers, including apostles, prophets, evangelizers, teachers, elders, etc. It was just one church, or congregation, which is described directly in the Bible as an association of brothers. The apostles argued against sectrainism and false teachings. I see only 1 Christian group the Bible, which was not divided into different groups with different beliefs. How do you not know that they do not communicate with other members of the anointed or even the great crowd, which they are their helpers? Because Ray Franz said so?

• davidl7
    davidl7

slimfatboy wrote:

"No response for me, although give him a break David is working hard on this thread.

But just to add that I looked up the Carolyn Wah article again to see how she cites Penton. In actual fact she does not cite any of his work at all. She simply quotes Beckford and other sociologists to the effect that the work of former JWs work is biased and unreliable. So it's a sort of reference to Penton but without even mentioning his actual work by name, which doesn't even suggest she has read Penton's work much less engaged with it.

I think it's also interesting to note the extreme lengths JW apologists will often go to avoid citing apostate literature, perhaps the best example being the almost farcical situation where Rolf Furuli wrote a two-volume work countering the arguments of Carl Olof Jonsson without explicity referring to his book The Gentile Times Reconsidered at all."

I thought Carolyn Wah stated in one of her State and Church articles, that she read James Penton book. I'll look up the article to confirm.

Actually alot of people at the WT read Carl Jonsson statements since he wrote about his viewpoint to the Society prior to leaving and prior to writing his book. I believe he was not initially expelled and the WTS may have sent him some responses, but apparently he did not agree with them.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

When you are mentioning people that come to the same conclusion, or agree with Witnesses you are misrepresenting the facts. What you mean is some people agree with a few Watchtower teachings. No one has ever come up with anything remotely close to all the current teachings. (I would like you to find someone that came up with almost any of the Watchtower interpretation of Revelation on their own, or that concluded that Jesus was not their mediator). Just because a few people think a Watchtower Scripture or doctrine is correct does not mean it is correct, or that they agree with the whole body of teachings.

Actually, the only way to come to the conclusion that Jesus is God and that the soul never dies is if one is influenced and taught those doctrines by the Trinitarian theolgians.

It may be difficult to come to the concept of the Trinity reading the Bible, but it is very plain that Jesus is God from the New Testament. John 20:28-29 "In answer Thomas said to him: "My Lord and my God!" For over half of its history the Watchtower taught that Jesus was a god and should be worshipped, contradicting the current teachings that you are quoting. http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/worship-jesus.php

Likewise the Bible is full of references to the resurrection being in the twinkling of an eye, and to torture, such as the account of Abraham and Lazaurus and descriptions of the lake of fire. You do not need to be a theologian to get the impression of an immortal soul, or that Abraham is in heaven.

Matthew 8:11 " But I tell YOU that many from eastern parts and western parts will come and recline at the table with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of the heavens;

Well, yes, that which is light will never contradict light, but if something was in error, it has to be corrected.

Contradiction.

I see only 1 Christian group the Bible, which was not divided into different groups with different beliefs.

The Watchtower Society has split into many groups.

You say the changing doctrine over the resurrection is not important, yet the apostle Paul called Hymenaeus and Philetus Apostates for a misunderstanding of the Resurrection.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/resurrection.php
    "There is nothing to indicate that these men did not believe in God, in the Bible, in Jesus' sacrifice. Yet, on this one basic point, what they were teaching as to the time of the resurrection, Paul rightly branded them as apostates, with whom faithful Christians would not fellowship." Watchtower 1986 Apr 1 pp.30-31

David, although you mention a lot of Watchtower history books, you seem to know little about the Bible, or your Watchtower history. What you are good at is parrotting current Watchtower teachings. Do I correctly get the impression that you are quite young?
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

One of the points you did not address is the inclusion of the word Jehovah in the New Testament, which gets almost universal condemnation from anyone with a knowledge of the Bible. Most people reading the Bible will read a translation with the words Lord and worship in their rightful places. That makes coming to the Watchtower understanding of Jesus almost impossible to arrive at.

• Azazel
    Azazel

I feel for David17 i can understand where he's coming from. Fact is he is here and thats a great start to enlightenment for him

jwfacts when you get a chance i sent you a PM

Az

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit