ALANF, JANH, KENT, NORM et.al.--WHERE HAVE THEY ALL GONE?

by binadub 11 Replies latest jw friends

• binadub
    binadub

WHERE HAVE THEY ALL GONE, AND WHY?

In the 1990s the Internet rose to prominence which opened the door for active Jehovah’s Witnesses to have discussion with former members in the closet of anonymity. In the early Internet days, there were topical “Usenet” forums that were the forerunners of hosted e-mail “List” groups, followed by open discussion forums like H2O that could be viewed by the whole world. As most here probably know, H2O, the Grand Daddy of all exJW Websites, was the parent of this JWD/JWN forum.

Back then, several notorious exJW Websites drew on the new “Information Highway”, such as Watchtower Observer (Kent Steinhaug); All Along the Watchtower (Jan Haugland); Beyond Jehovah’s Witnesses (Timothy Campbell); Comments From the Friends (David Reed); Beacon Light for Former Jehovah’s Witnesses (xjw.com, Ros).
    Scholarly posters became common names in the forums who relentlessly kept tabs on the Watchtower and exposed its teachings (AlanF, Kent, JanH, Norm, .Doug, DocBob, to name only a few). Authors like Jim Penton and Carl Olof Jonsson were known posters. Website hosters eventually published the secret “Elders Manual” on the WorldWideWeb, for which the Watchtower tried to sue.

Where have they gone, those exJW Internet “pioneers” who blazed the new frontier of exposing the Watchtower after the books of Ray Franz and Carl Olof Jonsson had been published in the 1980s? The storm of WT revelation sent such shockwaves to the Watchtower Society that even some of their leadership came onto H2O anonymously in an effort to defend the indefensible. They closely monitored the forum and the slightest leak of inside information could result in immediate internal action.

Why have they gone?

I think it’s because their work is done. The Watchtower religion is—imo—a different religion now than it was then, thanks in part to the efforts of these people. (Naturally, the fact that the generation is long past had something to do with it too.) Unlike the days when all JWs knew that Nathan Knorr and Fredrick Franz were the Society’s leaders and attended almost every district assembly, today most JWs do not know the names of those on their Governing Body, the F&DS. Back then the district and international assemblies were deliberately held in large stadiums to draw world media attention upon Jehovah’s Witnesses and “the good news”—and it succeeded very well. When Nathan Knorr died, it was national news. When Ray Franz was disfellowshipped, it made the news in Time Magazine. Nothing like that can come close to being said of the religion now.

People leaving the religion now are leaving for entirely different reasons than in those days only a few short years ago. The present generation of JWs have little concept of the faith and diligence of JW servants who would live in tiny travel trailers and go to remote areas on an allowance of $14 a month to warn the people of the coming doom and the “good news” that they could survive it. If you ask a JW today what the “good news” is, they grapple with trying to define it. Back then it was quite simple: The “good news of the Kingdom” was that Christ had come in 1914, set up His kingdom, and that generation beginning in 1914 would witness the end of the world (Armageddon). Those who preached that message had the hope of never dying by surviving Armageddon into the “New World” when death would be no more. They were in the “last generation.” THAT was the “good news” then. And Jehovah’s Witnesses were chosen as the “faithful and discreet” slave because they “witnessed” that Christ came and set up the long-awaited kingdom in 1914-1919 and began preaching “the good news of the Kingdom”--that it had finally been established.
    (Actually few JWs realize that until the late 1930s the teaching was that the Kingdom parousia had occurred in 1874, so it’s a problem for the Society to explain their F&DS appointment in 1914-1919 to people who know).

Those Internet pioneers may be gone from here not so long ago, but their trail-blazing labors are not forgotten.

~Binadub

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I agree. I think the Ex JW's had a lot to do with several changes in the religioin. A Good thing!..

Their voices are being heard and will continue to be heard.

They are being exposed.

The one thing is now that many witnesses still believe the internet is evil..Only when they decide to explore will they come upon the real truth about their religion.

The only other way to get to them is the media and hopefully they will again run some stories about the JW's.

Good post! I also noticed you first signed on when I did..

Snoozy..who's been around a while..

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

AlanF used to post here...now he can be found in Topix, at least last I checked.

Doug (Farkel) still posts here occasionally from time to time.

Jim Penton posts over at Channel C.

The internet is a bigger place now.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I've wondered too about some that made an impact on me. I remember Maximus and Amazing that really helped me see clearly.

• moshe
    moshe
    If you ask a JW today what the "good news" is, they grapple with trying to define it.

The only thing JWs hang onto, is the hope they can cheat death by surviving Armageddon and then they get to live on a paradise earth, forever. The pathetic JW shuffle lacks any substance today, but being simple stooges with only an 18 month memory, they can't see how much has failed to happen in their past JW timeline. So they soldier on, trying to reassure themselves that the end is just a little bit further away, but still closer than it was yesterday.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Their voices are being heard and will continue to be heard.

I agree . . .

One of the most memorable sessions I've had on JWN has been reading a lot of old threads started by AlanF . . . some of them are simply brilliant. There are others who have been here (too many to mention) whose contributions are well worth the read . . . including Farkel's. Farkels personal life story is still floating around the net somewhere, and I got a lot out of reading it.

The internet has indeed become a big place . . . even for XJW's . . . and that has been a good thing.

I can't believe how many have drifted to other pastures in the short time I've been here.

And of course . . . thanks certainly belong to all those wonderful contributors who went before.

• I quit!
    I quit!

DocBob is still around. I ran into him on facebook when I mistook him for another xjw with the same real name as him I knew back in my AOL days. He's doing fine. He's still has his website: docbob.org

• rocketman
    rocketman

JanH and AlanF particularly both were instrumental in writing essays that certainly got me thinking. JanH used to have a blog at Salon called Secular Blasphemy, but he apparently became busy in other pursuits, and I don't think he publishes there any longer.

JanH, as was the case with several other members of what was then JW Discussions, ran afoul of Simon and left the discussion board. In those days, a more Wild-West type atmosphere prevailed at the board. The crux of the issue seemed to be whether the board should be a totally free, no-holds-barred type of board or whether some restraint was necessary due to the concern that the board would become a turn-off to lurking jws who were looking for guidance, as well as to members who did not want to engage in constant arguing that could become personal at times.

Back then, several spin-off boards were created by former JWD members. While the atmosphere may have been more 'free', it was much more contentious, with name-calling common in many threads.

• binadub
    binadub

Thanks for reminding me of another couple of names: Maximus and Amazing.

Yes, Amazing does still post occasionally on Channel C--under his real name.
    Doug/Farkel - I understand from posts on this forum that he is having some serious health issues.

Maximus (a former DO) seems to have faded into the past.

When I refer to "back then" I mean even before JWD/JWN. None of those mentioned were ever as active here as they were on H2O and a previous List forum we nicknamed Jes-Wit (Jesus-Witnesses). Don't let the name fool you--it hosted exJWs who had adopted Fundamentalist religion, those who had not, as well as Skeptics and active JWs. There was at the same time a private List called Phileo that was only exJWs, regardless of religious perspective. All of the mentioned posters except Maximus and Amazing were very active on those forums. Amazing, Farkel and Max came along during the H2O days, but they were also quite active here on JWD for a long time.

AlanF, JanH, Norm, Kent, and others from that "era" seem to have vanished from the Net, especially from JW/xJW forums.

My thinking is that the current Watchtower religion and its teachings just do not challenge the interest of those who were JWs before 2000. They were JWs for entirely different beliefs and reasoning than the current flock. Biblical interpretation and secular chronology, among other things, were more at issue. Now it's more about unreasoning blind faith--just trust the F&DS. Reasoning does not sway the current JWs. The religion has become--imo--more of an esoteric social society than a doctrinal system. When you've said all there is to say about chronology and failed prophecies, arguing with blind faith seems rather pointless, whether its about religion, politics or evolution.

It's just interesting that so much has changed in little more than a mere decade, yet the blind keep leading the blind.

~Binadub

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

That's why I put together a HELP site and memorial at www.watchtowerworld.org so many of these "pioneers" would not be forgotten.

Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit