TRY AGAIN - QUESTION: HOW HAVE FRANZ'S BOOKS HELPED YOU?

by binadub 22 Replies latest jw friends

• binadub
    binadub

Apologies all. My questions did not appear in the body of the first post and I didn't know the reason. THANKS leavingwt for informing me that ANOTHER drawback of the new Internet Explorer is that it is not compatible with JWD. So again:

I'm doing an informal survey and there's not a better place than JWD for it.

1) How have Franz's books influenced (or not) you? Also Carl Olof Jonsson's and Jim Penton's?

2) Do you understand Jonsson's chronology arguments and their effect on the parousia doctrine?

3) Would you like an alternative religion to the Watchtower organization? If so, what do you think it should offer?

4) Are you familiar with Channel C.

5) What do you think is the most influencial medium for JWs leaving the religion? Forums like this? Books? Other exJWs?

6) Do you know who the current WT leaders are?

Thanks for any help. And thanks to JWD for being here.

~Binadub

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

1) How have Franz's books influenced (or not) you? Also Carl Olof Jonsson's and Jim Penton's?

Never read any of their books.

2) Do you understand Jonsson's chronology arguments and their effect on the parousia doctrine?

No idea.

3) Would you like an alternative religion to the Watchtower organization? If so, what do you think it should offer?

There are endless alternatives.

No.

5) What do you think is the most influencial medium for JWs leaving the religion? Forums like this? Books? Other exJWs?

No idea. I left without much external help.

No.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

1. If you haven't done any research all 3 books are excellent. I liked Jonsson's book the best.

2. ya

3. no thanks

4. no

5. depends what stage the individual is in. If the individual isn't afraid to ask questions from "apostates" that would be it. Otherwise, internet research or books.

6. no other than there is 7 self righteous stooges in the tower

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Never read Carl Olof Jounson or Jim Penton's books - put on my list

didn't read yet

no not into religion

nope

the internet

no

• Woody22
  • N.drew
    N.drew

1. I read Ray Franz's book. It did not influence my decision to be free of JWs. What it did do though is convince me that hero worship is real.

2. I do not know of it

3. I might like all religion to be gone. So no religion for me. Faith is good. Imo religion stunts faith.

4. I am not familiar with Channel C

5. Best medium, I think should be former Jehovah's Witnesses, but that is impossible. So next best is the internet. But if you mean what is the best help for a person to leave the answer has to be an understanding of the Bible and logic together. The JWs themselves is what convinced me. I did not need external assistance, except for maybe the Holy Spirit.

6. I do not know the current leaders. But I might be able to pick them out of a list.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Fanz- realized I was not crazy- I did see what I saw! Carl- never read it- no time

Huh???

FUN, FUNNY PEOPLE, PICNICS, HOSPITALITY, CASUAL WEAR, 1 meeting per week with only some bible reading- no interpretation, group project for helping a few needy widows and orphans, killer music- a choir like in Black churches.

4) Are you familiar with Channel C., No

Internet. The Bible.

This week? NO, and I don't care anymore. Unless I need names to help someone sue them. Then I will call friends and family at Bethel.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Did Franz write about why the JWs were chosen in 1914? If he did, I read about that somewhere and thought it didn't make any sense. He seemed kooky and too out there to be a real prophet.

I read "Gentile Times Reconsidered" and found it very helpful to deconstruct the 1914 business.

And James Penton's "Apocalypse delayed" was the first "apostate" book I read that started me on my way out. It was interesting to learn about the history of the religion, and how crazy it sounded.

It was a bit confusing, but I felt like I understood it enough to see that the Watchtower wasn't correct.

Sort of, I miss the association and structure sometimes. However, I don't think I would ever want to be part of a religious group again. If I were to join a group, it would need to allow freedom of thought and not be controlling or dogmatic.

No

The Internet. I first saw something about Ray Franz online and it bothered me until I looked into it. The Wikipedia article on JWs was one of the first things I felt safe looking at, and started my journey out of the religion from there.

Splane?

Balaamsass - your church sounds awesome!

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I'd go to your church Mr Ass too

I like calling you that

FS

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

FS, I call him ASS without the mister. You shouldda heard what I called him yesterday!!! (I ran outta my hormones) I must admit Ass's church sounds great. Church isn't FOR God .It's obviously for PEOPLE who get a feeling of security in a scary world. The 70's TV star, Flip Wilson did skits on his show as a Preacher of "THE CHURCH OF WHAT's HAPPENING NOW". At the time I thought they were hilarious. NOW, I'd like to join that church!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit