Proof of Jesus' Deity using the NWT - One Simple Scripture

by GOrwell 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

Now, this topic is NOT about providing proof of the Trinity using the NWT, but is instead about the deity of Jesus. Yes, they are similar, but different, topics.

Specifically, we can use the NWT to show the deity of Jesus and how the people/authors of his day viewed who he was. This Bible quotation won't even come from the fallback Jesus-is-God Book of John, but instead comes from the Book of Luke. Now, some translations (naturally) translate this verse differently, but the NWT translates it in a very interesting manner, using a very telling word.

The quote comes from Luke 8:26-39. This well-known story is about Jesus' expelling demons from a man into a herd of swine, which then proceed off a cliff. Now, the morals of killing an entire herd of swine aside, let's read Luke 8:39, 39, which occurs just after the man is exorcised of the demons:

"However, the man from whom the demons had gone out kept begging to continue with him; but he dismissed the man, saying: 39 “Be on your way back home, and keep on relating what things God did for you.” Accordingly he went away, proclaiming throughout the whole city what things Jesus did for him."

Now, other translations have the same idea of the previously possessed man associating the miracle to God, and by extension Jesus. However, the NWT uses a very specific word here : Accordingly, which I haven't found in another translation, although the idea is there.

This word is very important. It's important in my mind, because it insinuates that the man did exactly what he was told. Jesus said to the man to tell his friends and his hometown and every one he met to credit the exorcism to God. What did the man do? "Accordingly" he credited the exorcism to Jesus.

He credited the exorcism to Jesus, although he was told to credit it to God, and he was doing exactly what he was told to do. It seems to me that this man viewed Jesus as God.

Interesting, no? All just because of one little word - accordingly.

• 2tone
    2tone

GOrwell. It is interesting. I have little knowledge of the trinity. I was raised a jw and know little of other religious beliefs. Im just not sure how much stock you can put into that one word especially from a bible translated to fit the agenda of a cult. Just my opinion.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

Well, that that one word was put into a translation made by a cult that doesn't believe (and miltantly so) in the Trinity or the deity of Jesus really says something. Most other translations say something along the lines that the man did just "so," or that "so" he went did and did as he was told. However, the word "accordingly" really gives more meaning into the man's actions. He did just as he was told, and equated Jesus directly with God.

• 2tone
    2tone

GOrwell

You might be onto to something or you could be just reading into it too much. Probably since i was raised to reject the trinity, I dont know anything else. So I'm automatically wired to disagree with you because it conflicts with my belief, lol.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

What difference does it make what we come up with when we scour every version of the Bible ever written with a microscope and a fine tooth comb if the oldest texts we have were written hundreds of years after the fact by a group of charlatan priests promoting the agenda of the most lying and tyrannical empire in the history of the planet?

• Think About It
    Think About It
    Im just not sure how much stock you can put into that one word especially from a bible translated to fit the agenda of a cult. Just my opinion.

Every Bible ever translated was done so to fit the agenda of a cult.

Think About It

• Ding
    Ding

Most JWs will simply say that Jesus is Jehovah's representative, but I do think this catch is interesting because JWs think the NWT is the most accurate translation in existence. It's interesting that such a connection and argument slipped past Freddy. He usually spotted stuff like that and changed the language to make sure it complied with WT dogma.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

This is one that I found problematic ... especially because I couldn't find anywhere that the Watchtower attempted to explain it.

*** Bible Citations ***
    (1 Peter 3:15) But sanctify the Christ as Lord* in YOUR hearts, always ready to make a defense before everyone that demands of YOU a reason for the hope in YOU, but doing so together with a mild temper and deep respect.

* Footnote: “The Christ as Lord,” ?ABC; TR, “the Lord God”; J7,8,11-14,16,17,24, “Jehovah God.”

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Not to do with any trinity discussion, just the divinty of Jesus question.

There's more than once scripture proving the Jesus's deity imo. One of the biggest to me is found in the old testament.

NWT-IS 9; 6 For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

Now I think that because there are so many ancient manuscripts of the OT, that it is impossible for the thousands of copies to all be corrupted identically to distort the divinty of Jesus.

Another big one to me is found in John 20;28 when Thomas says to Jesus 'My Lord and my God' which in Greek is "Ho Kurios mou kai ho Theos mou" which is literally translated as Thomas says to Jesus 'The Lord of me and the God of me'. Jesus, being perfect would have corrected Thomas if he were wrong, but instead accepts his profession of faith. Another biggie to me

Psalm 102; 25 Long ago you laid the foundations of the earth itself,
    And the heavens are the work of your hands.

Contrast that with Hebrews 1;10 10 And: “You at [the] beginning, O Lord, laid the foundations of the earth itself, and the heavens are [the] works of your hands.

Now, the noted psalm verse is speaking of God and the noted hebrew's verse is speaking of Jesus.

Along the same lines, more scriptural proof is found in

Jeremiah 17; 10 I, Jehovah, am searching the heart, examining the kidneys, even to give to each one according to his ways, according to the fruitage of his dealings.

Contrast that with Revelation 2; 23 And her children I will kill with deadly plague, so that all the congregations will know that I am he who searches the kidneys and hearts, and I will give to YOU individually according to YOUR deeds.

Of course the old and new testament are abound with scriptural proofs, but the alas, it is not easy to change beliefs that have been driven home over and over and over again.

Jesus is credited for creating the world, forgiving sins, giving eternal life, having a kingdom that goes on forever, yet his divinty is so often denied that even these texts will prove nothing to those who do not want to believe. Incidently, all scriptural examples I posted are from the NWT version.

respectfully,

dc

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Sorry, I just wanted to see how small my font would go

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit