"Personal Experiences" in Watchtower publications and Talks

by ~Question With Boldness~ 14 Replies latest jw friends

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Well some might be embellished a bit, but I'm sure all the experience about André are true!

André is my personal WT superhero, way better than King David or Samson!

• kazar
    kazar

Welcome Questionwithboldness! I used to read those stories in the magazines and want to vomit. They were sooooo boring.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

I have a friend whose experience was shared at a CA and was also featured in the WT or Awake.

It's been so long I forgot which magazine it was, but I do know that the article actually omitted some things that my friends husband thought should have been included.

If you read about it, or heard the experience with an attitude like 'thefalseone' you would have never believed it, but the whole account was absolutely true.

JudgeDreadWarlock

• ekruks
    ekruks

I sent a letter to the branch one. Then, about a year later, I read a Watchtower article, and someone with my name made a very familiar comment. I dug out the letter - the quote matched two sentences from my letter, without the whole paragraph in between. If that was me, they didn't change my name.

The weird thing was, no one ever contacted me to ask what I thought of being quoted. The even weirder thing was, at the time that must have gone to print, I was in a judicial committee. Makes me wonder a lot about other experiences I read.

I have also been interviewed for an assembly item, and my experience was stretched to match the experience wanted - chunks were missed out. I've also heard people be interviewed and know the experiences were exagerated, or well, even heard someone else give my own ministry experience!

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

My first doubts about the org came when I was about 14 I think (or somewhere in my early teens). I was selected to give a demo and an experience at the 2 day convention. So I related the story on how I placed the Bible Story book with one of my classmates who had teased me before to the CO and he said it was great. Then when the final preparations came they kept changing it slightly. In the end I couldn't even recognize my story and had to read it from a piece of paper. I actually said "but that's not my story" and the CO looked at me and said, "but that's how we want you to tell it".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit