Religious People Live Longer

by mankkeli 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

“Regular involvement in religious activities goes hand in hand with better physical health and a longer life, according to a statistical analysis of 42 independent studies published since 1977 that have addressed this issue,” states Science News. “Religious involvement, especially the public type, showed a statistically significant relationship to higher survival rates, the scientists say.” Several reasons have been proposed for the findings—the shunning of risky behaviors, marital stability, less depression associated with matters beyond direct control, greater social contacts, and positive emotions and attitudes. One report concludes: “Frequent religious attendance has now been found . . . to be associated with a reduced hazard of dying, particularly among women. Frequent religious attenders . . . reported greater social support, less depression, and better health practices.”

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Ya I heard ..............

FOREVER

petting Lions!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

For men, not so much. Looks like I'll go to the pub instead of the Kingdom Hall.

http://www.miller-mccune.com/health/highly-religious-women-not-men-live-longer-lives-5824/

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I don't know? I didn't START to live till I left religion

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Obviously none of them ever set foot in a Kingdom Hall..

Or..

Have experience with the WBT$/JW Cult..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Several reasons have been proposed for the findings— ... less depression associated with matters beyond direct control, greater social contacts, and positive emotions and attitudes.

-- Maybe true of some religious groups, but not Jehovah's Witnesses. They suffer from more depression than the general population, and there are way too many suicides among active Witnesses to believe they are guided by Gods spirit, or have a 'spiritual paradise' that no one else has.

-- Witnesses also have fewer social contacts, since they view anyone not in their religion as 'worldly' and avoid associating with them.

-- The extreme negativity of JWs is one of the reasons that I left the organization. What a genuine relief to be free; it was a step that I can feel the positive effects of daily.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Religious People Live Longer..."

Mmmfmph!!

Not if they're Aztecs....

Or elderly ladies living in Salem, Massacheusetts, in the early 1600's...

Or herbal practitioners living in Europe during the Dark Ages, Middle Ages and into the Renaissance...

Or Jews living in those areas around the same times...

Or non-believers living in ancient Israel, disobedient children, practitioners of "other" religions, and various other groups targeted by the Israelite zealots...

Or people viewed as "enemies of the state", living in Germany before WWII, or in America shortly afterwards... [the 1950's Mc Carthy-era "Communist Witch Hunts"...]

Thanks, Mankelli, but I'd rather die early than to be a brainwashed cow experiencing the religion delusion . . .

Religion is a cancerous tumor to our civillization. It's too bad that so many are willing to turn off their rational thought to accept the story of the savior on a stick.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Were Muslim suicide bombers included in the study?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Live longer. If you're of the super religious, especially the fundy religious, is the extra time worth it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit