I worry about you all, regarding the promotion of "Steven Hassan's." book. Why?

by AvocadoJake 45 Replies latest jw friends

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

So, three points I want to make...

1) Paragraphs breaks are your friend

2) So ... he doesn't say anything groundbreaking, just pulls it all together in a single place? And this a problem how?

3) Dr. Oz is a quack

5) I ain't so good at math.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

People find a book that works for them and recomend it to others, who find it useful and the cycle continues.

I don't think anyone anyone pointed to the book as a miracle cure, but merely what has worked for others and been passed on as such on this site.

Personally, I saw the title for the book "Apocolypse Delayed" and it burned a hole in the back of my mind until I found a way to get it an read it. It was instrumental in putting the final nail in the coffin of my faith in the Watchtower. I had no idea that Ray Franz had written a book and even when I heard about it I wasn't too excited.

Eventually I read it and honestly, while interesting, it wasn't the "a-ha" moment for me since I was already out. Good, interesting, but not reflective of my personal journey.

Same with Hassan I think. It's not groundbreaking in the field, but it has had a groundbreaking affect on many people here.

Nothing wrong with that.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Sorry. I could not finnish reading your propaganda. All I know is I like the dude and loved his book. It helped me not make an ass of myself with still in JW's. Thank you for the backward advertisement of a good book

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

Sorry, Found Sheep, I was childish.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

dyslexic have a problem with that?

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

AJ, People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Give me a break!

• 3rdgen
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I still don't get why you think the book is harmful AJ. Would you mind trying again please?

Chris

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

The only harm is the hype around the book on the internet, the hype Steven Hassan has come across something new. The pioneers of the cult studies did the majority of the work from 1950 to 1980 after the UFO, Jim Jones and Moonies cults. I don't understand why the earlier books are not reffered to, those scientist who lived with these cults, played the part of the follower. These are the men whose research paved the way for Hassan's book.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

attacking someone after writing like a fourth grade drop, does not suit you well! Yes, I know I screwed up without using paragraphs, what's your excuse? Your JW blinders are still on, "I had to plug my ears, and close my eyes, I loved the author and won't listen to anything else!" I knew this was loaded topic, and you proved me correct. Frank Zappa was right "A mind works best when it is open." I won't accuse you of this!

Now let's get it right.

Attacking someone after writing like a forth grade drop out does not suit you well. Yes, I know I screwed up by not using paragraphs. What is your excuse? Your JW blinders are still on.....

So just for the record . I don't have blinders on. I do have an education. Sorry if I don't spell well and never will. This is something I work on every day. I'm an honest person and that means the obvious weakness is right open. I don't hide that. so peace to you and your perfect mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit