Jehovah's Witnesses Spend Thanksgiving Knocking on Doors

by koolaid-man 21 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

The last time I went out on a major holiday it was in the early nineties. I think it was actually Christmas Day. The only other people out were a bethelite couple, and the morning was pretty dismal. That day I vowed never to go out on a holiday ever again. It worked!

PS: the bethelite couple went on to Gilead and became missionaries in South America. The husband cheated on his wife, they got kicked out, and moved back to the US. I heard a few years later he cheated again and they divorced. So much for a three-fold cord!

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Now that missionary man, cheats on Thanks giving.

Welll, probably only one Elder takes the arrangement and a few people who are unemployed year round are out that day.

The rest that work, trust me, will be at home for a deserved rest.

I always felt sorry for Bethelites that had to work on a Statutory Holiday. The law states that you had to pay workers overtime for working a Stat holiday. You know what happens with those Bethelites, eh. Are the Bethelites ok with this? Not really. I know exactly how they feel about this.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

When I was excessively "spiritual", I did the holiday witnessing. Christmas day, Memorial Day ... a number of times I went with a group trolling the cemetery on Memorial Day ... I sure do feel like an ass for doing that.

I know a number of Witnesses though that justify getting together with worldly relatives on Thanksgiving.

• steve2
    steve2

Breaking news: Koolaid Man Asserts JWs Study the Watchtower at Meetings!!

• sizemik
    sizemik

God I haven't seen a territory map in almost 10 years.

The sight of it made me throw up through my nose.

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

My husband said, "Boy would I like to have a Jehovah's Witness knock on my door today..." while shaking his head.

We passed a KH on the way home from our "evil" Thanksgiving party we went to, I felt bad for all the miserable people stuck going to a meeting tonight. =(

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

Outlaw", I am getting the impression you don't get along with Rick, were you not wowed by the Six Screen productions hype?

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

Thanksgiving and Christmas were always a low turn out day for the brothers in sister. Most were using the time off, to head to Walt Disney World, Disney Land, Knotts, Magic Mountain or go camping, fishing. Unless the CO had come to town, it was not well supported, maybe Witnesses in your Hall were happy to disembark on the Turkey day mission.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Jagdish Patel, an elder [said]

"Usually, on the weekdays, there will be a group of 8 to 10 people going out in the service," he said. "But on holidays, it can be 30, 40."

I seriously doubt that. This is the puffy kind of exaggerated talk that Watchtower leaders often engage in to make Witnesses appear zealous.

Idrnomo said,

THAT'S ODD, In my time as an elder we hardley had any turnout for field service on holidays.

It's always been the same way here. Precisely because it's a holiday and people will be home, Witnesses tend not to go door to door. They are accustomed to finding no one home, going through the motions, puting in time. Most of them can't deal with finding people home.

Plus, there is the deep fear that they will not be very welcome since they are interrupting people who are busy on a day that's important to them. And the fear is justified.

Witnesses tend to take holidays off just like everyone else.

Elder Patel may be in an exceptional congregation, but in most places Witnesses avoid door to door work on major holidays like Thankisgiving and Christmas.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DING: I agree with you about the "isolation" factor. It was a Thanksgiving holiday that gave me a rude awakening many years ago. I realize the reason the religion doesn't want JWs to be with "worldly" friends and family is because of the unconditional love you will get. The religion is afraid a JW will not want to remain in the vacuum of a religion once they realize that. This fact is one of the reasons that ultimately led to my "fade" some years later!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit