Why don't JWs do much in the way of charity work?

by ilikecheese 32 Replies latest jw friends

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

Thanks for the responses, particularly Blondie! That's a lot to look through.

I can understand the idea of some big name charitable organizations taking more money to pay for their own costs, but that's hardly the same as working through some local soup kitchen or food drive. Or even just having your church set up something within the community. That way you know who's running things and you yourself are contributing to something you can see and be more informed on.

I don't know. To say the very least, I disagree with most of their ideas with this.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Why waste time on worldly charities, when you can waste it on making money for the WTS ?

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    The Society did join United Way in order to receive Funds and Services.

Where can I find some more information on this. Did a local congregation join or did the WTS as a whole join?

• designs
    designs

It use to be on the Net, they joined through the Santa Barbabra chapter, West Coast Calif..

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

Just a thought...

Is it better to:

1. Give to beggars (those who don't work / can't work)?

2. Buy stuff (effectively giving to those who work / own companies)?

3. Spend your time and / or money trying to find and promote a fair system that could benefit everyone?

My preference is 3 is best, then 1, then 2.

• designs
    designs

How do you do that (#3)

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I would like to see the government start taxing churches like JW's who do little or nothing charitable.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I would like to see the government start taxing churches that do little or nothing charitable.

• JRK
    JRK

They are not into charity, so they can keep the $$$$.

JK

• Room 215
    Room 215

JW doctrine fosters disdain--- contempt even -- for the "worldlies" who are soon to be vaporized for not having listened to their "join us or die!" (per)version of the Good News.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit