"The 'Borg'

by mauiboy 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• mauiboy
    mauiboy

I have read the phrase "the Borg" over and over again....What is it's real meaning? Still a newbie here. This is the 1st site I've joined since I left about 4 years ago, so I'm still picking up on the lingo......

• N.drew
    N.drew

The Borg is a reference to Star Trek. There was a species of people that were part machine. They could even make a human into a borg. Fascinating!

• cedars
    cedars

mauiboy - you really need to be a trekkie to understand the connotations of this word. The fictional Borg were half organic and half robotic. Individually, they were all formerly independent people who were at one time captured and 'assimilated' by the Borg, at which point they were robbed of their humanity and everything that made them an individual. Once appropriated into the Borg, one cannot think or act as an individual, but only as part of the collective. It's a worryingly accurate metaphor that plays on the Society's obsession with unity and organization.

Cedars

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Hahaha you know what I never knew exactly what that word was or came from and I still got the gest. hahaha OMG that is such an awesome word. I'm posting it on facebook. Not going to say anything else just that word and see if anyone knows what I'm talkin about! I have a JW friend who loooooves star track... she pokes me everytime I post pictures or make comments on there. Lets see if she pokes me on this one! ha

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

This video pretty much says it all, not sure how to embed so here's a link: http://youtu.be/ItHcsIHshhs, it's the Locutus of Borg speech, remind you of a certain real group of people???

• cedars
    cedars

The ultimate Borg film is the Star Trek movie "First Contact". For all of you who aren't Star Trek fans but intrigued by the Borg metaphor - you should try looking it up. I remember going to see it when it first came out with someone who wasn't a Star Trek fan, but they still loved the film and it captured their imagination.

Cedars

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Just adding some stuff here. "Borg" can also srand for Brooklyn ORGanization. Somehow, that will still stick when they move out of Brooklyn.

The main comparison, as already explained, is how members of the Borg (WTS) are fully assimilated and no longer think for themselves. They cannot even conceive of breaking free, assuming (incorrectly) that they are better off in the Borg. They think that outsiders will either be assimilated or destroyed, thus prompting their famous phrase, "Resistance is futile."

But we have learned the real value of independent thinking and resistance.

• Mickey mouse
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$.. Borg Space Station.. (Borgthel) InterPlanetary Field Service.. .......................... ...OUTLAW

• N.drew

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit