Alpha Meetings! What are they? Who are they?

by freeborg 12 Replies latest jw friends

• freeborg
    freeborg

I was wondering if any one has ever been involved or are involved in a group known as Alpha. They provide a 15 meeting course on their beliefs. These groups and others like them have made me wonder if we all agree that WTS is corrupt and harmfull what makes another group with strong beliefs and convictions right, are we not falling into the same trap as when we were witnesses if we get involved in any of the hundreds of sects, cults, denominations that are out there.

http://alphacourse.org/about/whatis.htm

• logical
    logical

its a scam, Nicky Gumbel is loaded from it. He is so full of shit its unbeleivable. I did the Alpha course before the JW;s called on me, and it didnt do a thing for me. They dont care if you join, they just want your money.

At least the JW's know a few things about the bible.

• logical
    logical

i'll add its an attempt to get people back into mainstream "christian" religion, the main course is for protestants, and the catholic version has a few extra videos presented by someone else.

• freeborg
    freeborg

I totally agree logical, It just shows to me anyway that all religion is a scam and done for financial reward.

• gumby
    gumby

Quote: They provide a 15 meeting course on their beliefs
    The bible provides a course on what to believe...why would you need a group of anybody to tell you what to believe?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Yes There held in the state of Montana. At the meetings decissions are made between the current Alpha and wannaB up and comming Alpha's.
    The decission comes after the snarrling and growling match followed by an all-out kick-ass fight that continues until one gives in to the other. The one that stands his ground gets to be the boss.

• freeborg
    freeborg

Nicky Gumbel explains: "It's all friendship-based. There's no knocking on doors - it's friends bringing friends."

Quote from the alpha web-page, seems to me that they are after ex-jw's on the rebound.

• Rummy1
    Rummy1

Sounds like even more of a load of bollocks than jws

• cherjcd
    cherjcd

Hi,

I am a group leader in Alpha right now. Even though my time is heavily invested in helping former Witnesses through the pain of coming out of the Watchtower I wanted to give some time to the Alpha training to find out if it is okay to recommend it to those who are coming out of the Watchtower.

The Alpha course is designed to be a self learning experience. Anyone can take the Alpha course in any church. No denomination is exalted as the truth - only Jesus. Alpha allows participants to freely state their opinions without anyone telling them that they are wrong. It is designed to allow people to experience Christianity without feeling pressured. It certainly is as far away from the Watchtower indoctrination process as I have ever seen.

As far as money goes no one has been asked for any money other than to purchase the course booklet which is very reasonable.

If you have any questions about my experience with Alpha, I would invite you to email me privately.

Hope this has helped,
    Cheryl

• freeborg
    freeborg

cherjcd,

From your comments it seems my feelings that JW's are a target for groups like this is right. You mentioned that you are currently helping former JW's, helping them to do what exactly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit